Limited filesize uding tar command - Redhat

This is a discussion on Limited filesize uding tar command - Redhat ; Hi, I try to use my DVD+R storing a backupfile. Since the size of a DVD+R is limited by 4.7Gb and I've got one tar file of 5.5Gb, I need to find a solution. Suppose it's possible to split-up the ...

  1. Limited filesize uding tar command

    Hi,

    I try to use my DVD+R storing a backupfile. Since the size of a DVD+R is
    limited by 4.7Gb and I've got one tar file of 5.5Gb, I need to find a
    solution. Suppose it's possible to split-up the backup file using the tar
    command.

    But how...??

    Am using the basic command
    tar -cvfz my.file.tar.gz /the/files/I/want

    Any suggestions? Thx anyway!
    Don

  2. Re: Limited filesize uding tar command

    "Don" remove.no.spam.raketnet.nl> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I try to use my DVD+R storing a backupfile. Since the size of a DVD+R is
    > limited by 4.7Gb and I've got one tar file of 5.5Gb, I need to find a
    > solution. Suppose it's possible to split-up the backup file using the tar
    > command.
    >
    > But how...??

    from $ man tar

    -M, --multi-volume
    create/list/extract multi-volume archive

    read man tar

  3. Re: Limited filesize using tar command

    Yes I did read the tar manual, but as far as I understood the "M"-command
    only works at the end of (f.e.) a tape device. I need to split the file
    itself into a max of 4Gb....

    Thx for your reply, hope you can help me even more
    Don

    "Amarok" schreef in bericht
    > "Don" remove.no.spam.raketnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I try to use my DVD+R storing a backupfile. Since the size of a DVD+R is
    > > limited by 4.7Gb and I've got one tar file of 5.5Gb, I need to find a
    > > solution. Suppose it's possible to split-up the backup file using the

    tar
    > > command.
    > >
    > > But how...??

    > from $ man tar
    >

    > -M, --multi-volume
    > create/list/extract multi-volume archive
    >

    > read man tar

  4. Re: Limited filesize using tar command

    "Don" remove.no.spam.raketnet.nl> wrote:

    > Yes I did read the tar manual, but as far as I understood the "M"-command
    > only works at the end of (f.e.) a tape device. I need to split the file
    > itself into a max of 4Gb....

    Yeap, your right... tar isn't very appropriate to split volumes, I see that
    now

    Get "rar" and use switch -v
    from $ man rar

    -v[k|b|f]
    Create volumes with size=*1000 [*1024, *1].

    Hope this helps
    Amarok

  5. Re: Limited filesize uding tar command

    On 5/26/2005 5:59 AM, I believe that Don
    > Hi,
    >
    > I try to use my DVD+R storing a backupfile. Since the size of a DVD+R is
    > limited by 4.7Gb and I've got one tar file of 5.5Gb, I need to find a
    > solution. Suppose it's possible to split-up the backup file using the tar
    > command.
    >
    > But how...??
    >
    > Am using the basic command
    > tar -cvfz my.file.tar.gz /the/files/I/want
    >
    > Any suggestions? Thx anyway!
    > Don

    Can you pipe the output of tar through split?

    HTH,
    Tim

  6. Re: Limited filesize using tar command

    Sounds fine, I'll give it a try tonight. Thx for your reply again!

    Don

    "Amarok" schreef in bericht
    > "Don" remove.no.spam.raketnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes I did read the tar manual, but as far as I understood the

    "M"-command
    > > only works at the end of (f.e.) a tape device. I need to split the file
    > > itself into a max of 4Gb....

    > Yeap, your right... tar isn't very appropriate to split volumes, I see

    that
    > now
    >
    > Get "rar" and use switch -v
    > from $ man rar
    >
    > -v[k|b|f]
    > Create volumes with size=*1000 [*1024, *1].
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Amarok

  7. Re: Limited filesize uding tar command

    I've never used split before... After reading the man it shines to be a
    solution as well. Tonight I'll have a look at this possibility.

    Thnx for your reply!
    Don

    "tim wunder" schreef in bericht
    > On 5/26/2005 5:59 AM, I believe that Don
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I try to use my DVD+R storing a backupfile. Since the size of a DVD+R is
    > > limited by 4.7Gb and I've got one tar file of 5.5Gb, I need to find a
    > > solution. Suppose it's possible to split-up the backup file using the

    tar
    > > command.
    > >
    > > But how...??
    > >
    > > Am using the basic command
    > > tar -cvfz my.file.tar.gz /the/files/I/want
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? Thx anyway!
    > > Don
    > >

    > Can you pipe the output of tar through split?
    >
    > HTH,
    > Tim

  8. Re: Limited filesize uding tar command

    I'll use the rar option. To be honest... I'm not that familiar with linux
    but did use rar myself already.
    Thx anyway for your reply!

    Don

    "Don remove.no.spam.raketnet.nl>" schreef in bericht
    > I've never used split before... After reading the man it shines to be a
    > solution as well. Tonight I'll have a look at this possibility.
    >
    > Thnx for your reply!
    > Don
    >
    > "tim wunder" schreef in bericht
    > > On 5/26/2005 5:59 AM, I believe that Don
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I try to use my DVD+R storing a backupfile. Since the size of a DVD+R

    is
    > > > limited by 4.7Gb and I've got one tar file of 5.5Gb, I need to find a
    > > > solution. Suppose it's possible to split-up the backup file using the

    > tar
    > > > command.
    > > >
    > > > But how...??
    > > >
    > > > Am using the basic command
    > > > tar -cvfz my.file.tar.gz /the/files/I/want
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions? Thx anyway!
    > > > Don
    > > >

    > > Can you pipe the output of tar through split?
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > Tim

  9. Re: Limited filesize using tar command

    Since I haven't got the org RPM of rar (Nahant) I've got to wait until the
    org
    CD's are in my hands again

    Don

    "Amarok" schreef in bericht
    > "Don" remove.no.spam.raketnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes I did read the tar manual, but as far as I understood the

    "M"-command
    > > only works at the end of (f.e.) a tape device. I need to split the file
    > > itself into a max of 4Gb....

    > Yeap, your right... tar isn't very appropriate to split volumes, I see

    that
    > now
    >
    > Get "rar" and use switch -v
    > from $ man rar
    >
    > -v[k|b|f]
    > Create volumes with size=*1000 [*1024, *1].
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Amarok

  10. Re: Limited filesize using tar command

    Since I haven't got the org RPM of Nahant I've got to wait until the org
    CD's are in my hands again

    thx

    "Amarok" schreef in bericht
    > "Don" remove.no.spam.raketnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes I did read the tar manual, but as far as I understood the

    "M"-command
    > > only works at the end of (f.e.) a tape device. I need to split the file
    > > itself into a max of 4Gb....

    > Yeap, your right... tar isn't very appropriate to split volumes, I see

    that
    > now
    >
    > Get "rar" and use switch -v
    > from $ man rar
    >
    > -v[k|b|f]
    > Create volumes with size=*1000 [*1024, *1].
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Amarok

  11. Re: Limited filesize using tar command

    "Don" remove.no.spam.raketnet> wrote:

    > Since I haven't got the org RPM of rar (Nahant) I've got to wait until the
    > org
    > CD's are in my hands again
    >
    > Don

    I have send you an e-mail

    and you can follow this link

    http://www.rarsoft.com/rar/rarlinux-3.5.b1.tar.gz

    regards
    Amarok

  12. Re: Limited filesize using tar command

    Rar installed and... Thx! It works perfect

    Don

    "Don remove.no.spam.raketnet>" schreef in bericht
    > Since I haven't got the org RPM of Nahant I've got to wait until the org
    > CD's are in my hands again
    >
    > thx
    >

    > "Amarok" schreef in bericht
    > > "Don" remove.no.spam.raketnet.nl> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Yes I did read the tar manual, but as far as I understood the

    > "M"-command
    > > > only works at the end of (f.e.) a tape device. I need to split the

    file
    > > > itself into a max of 4Gb....

    > > Yeap, your right... tar isn't very appropriate to split volumes, I see

    > that
    > > now
    > >
    > > Get "rar" and use switch -v
    > > from $ man rar
    > >
    > > -v[k|b|f]
    > > Create volumes with size=*1000 [*1024, *1].
    > >
    > > Hope this helps
    > > Amarok

+ Reply to Thread