Fedora Core 3 and Mail - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 3 and Mail - Redhat ; I just installed Fedora Core 3.... why doesn't pine and pico work? I get "bash: pine: command not found" error. Plus I tried setting up Evolution Mail to read email and it appears my mail server isn't running or doesn't ...

  1. Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    I just installed Fedora Core 3.... why doesn't pine and pico work? I get
    "bash: pine: command not found" error. Plus I tried setting up Evolution
    Mail to read email and it appears my mail server isn't running or doesn't
    exist. Weird cause all this stuff worked in RH Linux 9.

    What is the problem and how do I get things running normal again?

    TIA

  2. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    "News Groupie" wrote in message
    >I just installed Fedora Core 3.... why doesn't pine and pico work? I get
    >"bash: pine: command not found" error. Plus I tried setting up Evolution
    >Mail to read email and it appears my mail server isn't running or doesn't
    >exist. Weird cause all this stuff worked in RH Linux 9.
    >
    > What is the problem and how do I get things running normal again?

    It's because Fedora Core 3 doesn't include pine as part of the OS. You'll
    need to add it, and possibly need to recompile it, from elsewhere.

    Evolution is another story, and the configuration of your mail services is a
    different matter altogether. Are you running a mail server locally?

  3. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    > It's because Fedora Core 3 doesn't include pine as part of the OS. You'll
    > need to add it, and possibly need to recompile it, from elsewhere.

    Okay.

    > Are you running a mail server locally?

    Yes, I wish to have a mail server run locally so I can send and receive
    internet mail. I prefer sendmail like I was using on RH Linux 9, but I don't
    know how to set it manually to send and recieve internet mail.

    Is there a page out there that details how to do that?

    Also I notice in the services list that pop3 is missing (was there in RH 9).
    does that matter?

    TIA

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message

    > "News Groupie" wrote in message
    >>I just installed Fedora Core 3.... why doesn't pine and pico work? I get
    >>"bash: pine: command not found" error. Plus I tried setting up Evolution
    >>Mail to read email and it appears my mail server isn't running or doesn't
    >>exist. Weird cause all this stuff worked in RH Linux 9.
    >>
    >> What is the problem and how do I get things running normal again?

    > It's because Fedora Core 3 doesn't include pine as part of the OS. You'll
    > need to add it, and possibly need to recompile it, from elsewhere.
    >
    > Evolution is another story, and the configuration of your mail services is
    > a different matter altogether. Are you running a mail server locally?

  4. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    >> It's because Fedora Core 3 doesn't include pine as part of the OS. You'll
    >> need to add it, and possibly need to recompile it, from elsewhere.

    > Okay.
    >
    >> Are you running a mail server locally?

    > Yes, I wish to have a mail server run locally so I can send and receive
    > internet mail. I prefer sendmail like I was using on RH Linux 9, but I
    > don't know how to set it manually to send and recieve internet mail.
    >
    > Is there a page out there that details how to do that?
    >
    > Also I notice in the services list that pop3 is missing (was there in RH
    > 9). does that matter?
    >
    > TIA

    www.sendmail.org

    Randy

  5. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    "News Groupie" wrote in message
    >> It's because Fedora Core 3 doesn't include pine as part of the OS. You'll
    >> need to add it, and possibly need to recompile it, from elsewhere.

    > Okay.
    >
    >> Are you running a mail server locally?

    > Yes, I wish to have a mail server run locally so I can send and receive
    > internet mail. I prefer sendmail like I was using on RH Linux 9, but I
    > don't know how to set it manually to send and recieve internet mail.
    >
    > Is there a page out there that details how to do that?

    There are *LOTS*. I recommend Postfix, it seems to have gotten a lot more
    popular than sendmail lately.

    > Also I notice in the services list that pop3 is missing (was there in RH
    > 9). does that matter?

    Do you mean in /etc/services, or do you mean turned on by default? I
    recommend the IMAP server, dovecot, if you're going to serve mail elsewhere.
    There are lots of reasons to avoid using POP3.

  6. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 03:49:26 GMT, "News Groupie"
    wrote:

    >I just installed Fedora Core 3.... why doesn't pine and pico work? I get
    >"bash: pine: command not found" error. Plus I tried setting up Evolution
    >Mail to read email and it appears my mail server isn't running or doesn't
    >exist. Weird cause all this stuff worked in RH Linux 9.
    >
    >What is the problem and how do I get things running normal again?
    >
    >TIA

    Here's where I got pine for Fedora. I run qmail instead of sendmail
    as a mail server, and dovecot IMAP instead of pop3.

    http://dag.wieers.com/packages/pine/

  7. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 03:49:26 +0000, News Groupie wrote:

    > I just installed Fedora Core 3.... why doesn't pine and pico work? I get
    > "bash: pine: command not found" error. Plus I tried setting up Evolution
    > Mail to read email and it appears my mail server isn't running or doesn't
    > exist. Weird cause all this stuff worked in RH Linux 9.
    >
    > What is the problem and how do I get things running normal again?
    >
    > TIA

    pico has been replaced my nano. I just
    (cd /usr/bin; ln -s nano pico)
    so I don't have to remember to type nano.

    jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  8. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    thanx folks. i got pine and pico installed with no problems.

    now i was just gonna use sendmail to send and receive internet mail, but now
    i'm curious about the other options mentioned throughout this thread. The
    main reason I need to run a mail server is to host this email/PHP
    application where users email to an account (robot@my-domain.com) and then
    the email is forwarded/passed to a PHP script and then an email is sent out
    to other users. I also need a mail server to simply host basic web site
    email accounts (info, webmaster, help, password, noreply, etc.) and about 5
    user accounts (bob, sally, john, etc.). Would sendmail be able to handle
    possibly hundreds of simultaneous email messages sent to the robot account
    and the be able to send out a lil' more than a thousand simultaneous emails
    or would I need something stronger?

    TIA

    "News Groupie" wrote in message
    >I just installed Fedora Core 3.... why doesn't pine and pico work? I get
    >"bash: pine: command not found" error. Plus I tried setting up Evolution
    >Mail to read email and it appears my mail server isn't running or doesn't
    >exist. Weird cause all this stuff worked in RH Linux 9.
    >
    > What is the problem and how do I get things running normal again?
    >
    > TIA

  9. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    In comp.os.linux.setup News Groupie :

    > "News Groupie" wrote in message
    >>I just installed Fedora Core 3.... why doesn't pine and pico work? I get
    >>"bash: pine: command not found" error. Plus I tried setting up Evolution
    >>Mail to read email and it appears my mail server isn't running or doesn't
    >>exist. Weird cause all this stuff worked in RH Linux 9.
    >>
    >> What is the problem and how do I get things running normal again?

    [..]

    > thanx folks. i got pine and pico installed with no problems.

    Glad to hear.

    > now i was just gonna use sendmail to send and receive internet mail, but now
    > i'm curious about the other options mentioned throughout this thread. The
    > main reason I need to run a mail server is to host this email/PHP
    > application where users email to an account (robot@my-domain.com) and then
    > the email is forwarded/passed to a PHP script and then an email is sent out
    > to other users. I also need a mail server to simply host basic web site
    > email accounts (info, webmaster, help, password, noreply, etc.) and about 5
    > user accounts (bob, sally, john, etc.). Would sendmail be able to handle
    > possibly hundreds of simultaneous email messages sent to the robot account
    > and the be able to send out a lil' more than a thousand simultaneous emails
    > or would I need something stronger?

    Sendmail handles mail in any volume, it's a MTA depends of course
    on your bandwidth and the iron it is running on. Once saw a box
    running sendmail getting into a serious mail-loop with a Notes
    server. Message flow kept on raising, until the other side came
    to a grinding halt. Couldn't impress the system running sendmail
    at all.

    Anyway " *thousand* *simultaneous* *emails*" sounds to me as if
    you would just start a career as spammer and I won't give you any
    help on that.

    #bofh excuse 161: monitor VLF leakage

  10. Re: Fedora Core 3 and Mail

    > Anyway " *thousand* *simultaneous* *emails*" sounds to me as if
    > you would just start a career as spammer and I won't give you any
    > help on that.

    thanx. now that u say it does sound spam-ish. that's not what I'm doing at
    all. it's a social networking site. email comes in, processed by PHP script,
    checks friends in database and sends message to friends. one email can come
    in from maybe a few hundred users at any given time and then maybe 10-15
    emails are sent back out based on each of those hundred users, which can
    make it a thousand or two emails being sent simultaneously. just hoping
    sendmail can handle that

+ Reply to Thread