FC2 -> FC3 yum Problems - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC2 -> FC3 yum Problems - Redhat ; Hi, I'm trying to upgrade from FC 2 to 3 using these instructions: http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upg..._with_yum.html . I have done everything it says up to part 4. When I type "yum" anything, it gives me: Code: root@tagging [~]# yum Traceback (most recent ...

  1. FC2 -> FC3 yum Problems

    Hi,

    I'm trying to upgrade from FC 2 to 3 using these instructions:
    http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upg..._with_yum.html . I
    have done everything it says up to part 4. When I type "yum" anything, it
    gives me:

    Code:
    root@tagging [~]# yum
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/yum", line 6, in ?
    import yummain
    File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 23, in ?
    import yum
    Warning: No module named yum

    Any help or ideas will be greatly appretiated! Thanks!

    yum works fine when I revert to FC 2 yum and fedora-release rpms

  2. Re: FC2 -> FC3 yum Problems

    Danny M. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to upgrade from FC 2 to 3 using these instructions:
    > http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upg..._with_yum.html . I
    > have done everything it says up to part 4. When I type "yum" anything, it
    > gives me:
    >
    > Code:
    > root@tagging [~]# yum
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/usr/bin/yum", line 6, in ?
    > import yummain
    > File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 23, in ?
    > import yum
    > Warning: No module named yum
    >
    > Any help or ideas will be greatly appretiated! Thanks!
    >
    > yum works fine when I revert to FC 2 yum and fedora-release rpms

    Is yum installed in FC3 - this usually happens if the yum is not
    installed or it has some missing files ( yummain.py - I deleted these
    files once and got this answer ).

    Install the yum RPM under FC3 this might help ??

  3. Re: FC2 -> FC3 yum Problems

    "Paul" wrote in message
    news:42915400$0$10302$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > Danny M. wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to upgrade from FC 2 to 3 using these instructions:
    >> http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upg..._with_yum.html .
    >> I have done everything it says up to part 4. When I type "yum" anything,
    >> it gives me:
    >>
    >> Code:
    >> root@tagging [~]# yum
    >> Traceback (most recent call last):
    >> File "/usr/bin/yum", line 6, in ?
    >> import yummain
    >> File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 23, in ?
    >> import yum
    >> Warning: No module named yum
    >>
    >> Any help or ideas will be greatly appretiated! Thanks!
    >>
    >> yum works fine when I revert to FC 2 yum and fedora-release rpms

    > Is yum installed in FC3 - this usually happens if the yum is not installed
    > or it has some missing files ( yummain.py - I deleted these files once and
    > got this answer ).
    >
    > Install the yum RPM under FC3 this might help ??

    I'm using FC2, not FC3. I'm trying to upgrade to FC3.

  4. Re: FC2 -> FC3 yum Problems

    Danny M. wrote:
    > "Paul" wrote in message
    > news:42915400$0$10302$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >
    >>Danny M. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I'm trying to upgrade from FC 2 to 3 using these instructions:
    >>>http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upg..._with_yum.html .
    >>>I have done everything it says up to part 4. When I type "yum" anything,
    >>>it gives me:
    >>>
    >>>Code:
    >>>root@tagging [~]# yum
    >>>Traceback (most recent call last):
    >>> File "/usr/bin/yum", line 6, in ?
    >>> import yummain
    >>> File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 23, in ?
    >>> import yum
    >>> Warning: No module named yum
    >>>
    >>>Any help or ideas will be greatly appretiated! Thanks!
    >>>
    >>>yum works fine when I revert to FC 2 yum and fedora-release rpms

    >>Is yum installed in FC3 - this usually happens if the yum is not installed
    >>or it has some missing files ( yummain.py - I deleted these files once and
    >>got this answer ).
    >>
    >>Install the yum RPM under FC3 this might help ??

    > I'm using FC2, not FC3. I'm trying to upgrade to FC3.

    OK !! Same answer reinstall yum on FC2.

    I tried to find the yummain.py file and just load that but found it
    easier to just re-install the whole RPM.

    Can you "locate yummain.py" ??? On FC3 its in "/usr/share/yum" - not
    sure about the "yum-cli" - have a look at "/etc/yum.conf".

    What exactly do you mean by "yum works fine when I revert to FC 2 yum
    and fedora-release rpms" ??

  5. Re: FC2 -> FC3 yum Problems

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:10:01 +0000, Danny M. wrote:

    > Any help or ideas will be greatly appretiated! Thanks!

    I recommend against upgrading this way. Some folk have gotten it to work,
    others have not, but it's always a shaky process.

    In theory, it should be doable but sometimes RPM packages don't
    properly indicate their dependencies or don't recognize the
    "obsoleted" packages (package "foo" is now called "bar").

    Just my $2e-02

    Cheers

  6. Re: FC2 -> FC3 yum Problems

    "Danny M." wrote in message
    news:dj8ke.5960$uR4.1981@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to upgrade from FC 2 to 3 using these instructions:
    > http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upg..._with_yum.html . I
    > have done everything it says up to part 4. When I type "yum" anything, it
    > gives me:
    >
    > Code:
    > root@tagging [~]# yum
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/usr/bin/yum", line 6, in ?
    > import yummain
    > File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 23, in ?
    > import yum
    > Warning: No module named yum
    >
    > Any help or ideas will be greatly appretiated! Thanks!
    >
    > yum works fine when I revert to FC 2 yum and fedora-release rpms

    This may explain it better:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=323742

+ Reply to Thread