Uninstalling KDE FC3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Uninstalling KDE FC3 - Redhat ; I did an install of FC3 without KDE. I then installed KDE to see what the apps it had were like. I now find that I don't want it. How do I uninstall? Thanks -- Registered Linux User no 240308 ...

  1. Uninstalling KDE FC3

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Fedora Core 3

  2. Re: Uninstalling KDE FC3

    Gordon wrote:
    > I did an install of FC3 without KDE. I then installed KDE to see what the
    > apps it had were like. I now find that I don't want it. How do I uninstall?
    >
    > Thanks

    If it was me, I'd use /usr/bin/system-config-packages and de-select all
    the KDE bits.

    Good Luck...
    C.

  3. Re: Uninstalling KDE FC3

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 20:39:27 +0000, Honey Trap wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> I did an install of FC3 without KDE. I then installed KDE to see what the
    >> apps it had were like. I now find that I don't want it. How do I uninstall?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > If it was me, I'd use /usr/bin/system-config-packages and de-select all
    > the KDE bits.
    >
    > Good Luck...
    > C.

    The problem with that, is that it allows you to select additional packages
    to install or uninstall for any of the three desktops, but NOT de-select
    the standard packages!

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Fedora Core 3
    http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/...t/IhateMS.html
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

  4. Re: Uninstalling KDE FC3

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 20:39:27 +0000, Honey Trap wrote:
    >

    >>Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>>I did an install of FC3 without KDE. I then installed KDE to see what the
    >>>apps it had were like. I now find that I don't want it. How do I uninstall?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>If it was me, I'd use /usr/bin/system-config-packages and de-select all
    >>the KDE bits.
    >>
    >>Good Luck...
    >>C.

    > The problem with that, is that it allows you to select additional packages
    > to install or uninstall for any of the three desktops, but NOT de-select
    > the standard packages!

    You're right!
    Well, at that point I'd post a question to alt.os.linux.redhat, because
    that would be me screwed. ;-)

    Hey, I never said I was an expert!

    (However, if you know from the list in system-config-packages what the
    "Standard Packages" are, I'm sure rpm could be 'persuaded' to remove
    them. Caveat deletor)

    C.

  5. Re: Uninstalling KDE FC3

    Honey Trap wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:

    >>> If it was me, I'd use /usr/bin/system-config-packages and de-select
    >>> all the KDE bits.
    >>>
    >>> Good Luck...
    >>> C.

    >> The problem with that, is that it allows you to select additional
    >> packages
    >> to install or uninstall for any of the three desktops, but NOT de-select
    >> the standard packages!
    >>

    > You're right!
    > Well, at that point I'd post a question to alt.os.linux.redhat, because
    > that would be me screwed. ;-)
    >
    > Hey, I never said I was an expert!
    >
    > (However, if you know from the list in system-config-packages what the
    > "Standard Packages" are, I'm sure rpm could be 'persuaded' to remove
    > them. Caveat deletor)
    >
    > C.

    Thanks for the help! I actually got two answers from the fedora Forums
    (http://www.fedoraforum.org/?) which worked.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Fedora Core 3
    http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/...t/IhateMS.html
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

  6. Re: Uninstalling KDE FC3

    On 5/22/2005 4:33 PM, I believe that Gordon wrote:
    > I did an install of FC3 without KDE. I then installed KDE to see what the
    > apps it had were like. I now find that I don't want it. How do I uninstall?

    But you can't use amarok or k3b without KDE installed... :/
    Have you tried KDE as provided by kde-redhat.sf.net? It's a little
    different from the KDE provided by FC3. kde-redhat is also good about
    building, and updating, all the nice to have KDE apps (like amarok, k3b,
    and other multimedia apps). kde-redhat is now working on packaging kde
    3.4.1 for FC3, what version of KDE did FC3 ship with?

    HTH,
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread