prevent ftp directory climbing - Redhat

This is a discussion on prevent ftp directory climbing - Redhat ; On RH 7.2 and Fedora systems running wu-ftpd, how does one prevent users who ftp in from climbing out of their /home/username dir?...

  1. prevent ftp directory climbing

    On RH 7.2 and Fedora systems running wu-ftpd, how does one prevent
    users who ftp in from climbing out of their /home/username dir?

  2. Re: prevent ftp directory climbing

    It's called CHROOT:

    put a ./ in the passwd file

    user:xxxx:xxxx:........:/usr/home/user/./ftp

    emtech a écrit :
    > On RH 7.2 and Fedora systems running wu-ftpd, how does one prevent
    > users who ftp in from climbing out of their /home/username dir?

  3. Re: prevent ftp directory climbing

    begin not.binary!

    And emtech confused OE posters with...
    >On RH 7.2 and Fedora systems running wu-ftpd, how does one prevent
    >users who ftp in from climbing out of their /home/username dir?

    Ditch wu-ftp.

    Use something like proftpd, or pure-ftpd: those have chroot jails.
    --
    "It's well past midnight as I lie in a semi-conscious state.
    I dream of people fighting me..."

  4. Re: prevent ftp directory climbing

    As viewed from alt.os.linux.redhat, Asam wrote:

    >emtech a écrit :
    >> On RH 7.2 and Fedora systems running wu-ftpd, how does one prevent
    >> users who ftp in from climbing out of their /home/username dir?

    >It's called CHROOT:
    >
    >put a ./ in the passwd file
    >
    >user:xxxx:xxxx:........:/usr/home/user/./ftp

    No go. That stops the user from ftp'ing in at all.

  5. Re: prevent ftp directory climbing

    As viewed from alt.os.linux.redhat, 'Dungeon' Dave wrote:

    >And emtech confused OE posters with...
    >>On RH 7.2 and Fedora systems running wu-ftpd, how does one prevent
    >>users who ftp in from climbing out of their /home/username dir?

    >Ditch wu-ftp.
    >
    >Use something like proftpd, or pure-ftpd: those have chroot jails.

    What I found out was that wu-ftpd is no longer offered in RH's Fedora
    series, and the only reason that it was installed on my system was
    that I'd upgraded an existing RH7.2 box and it was sort of a legacy.
    Switching to vsftpd solved the problem, as it's easy to configure.
    Thanks, Asam and Dave, for the replies.

+ Reply to Thread