gam_server , so many complaints - Redhat

This is a discussion on gam_server , so many complaints - Redhat ; gam_server ? would somebody shed some light on this for us non-kernel-hacks ? (is gam_server part of the kernel ? part of KDE ? Why is this needed ? What Kernel function did it replace ? How can it be ...

  1. gam_server , so many complaints

    gam_server ?

    would somebody shed some light on this for us non-kernel-hacks ? (is gam_server part
    of the kernel ? part of KDE ?

    Why is this needed ? What Kernel function did it replace ?
    How can it be tuned , and WHY do I keep finding it using 70 - 90% of my system resources
    for looong periods of time (minutes) ? I have a twin 2.7 Ghz Xenon system with 2 gigs of
    RAM , and this thing make my MOUSE crawl (and except for gam_server, the system is
    completely idle) ??
    This is why I left Microsoft products behind years ago !!! I have Slackware 9
    installations on Pentium-II's that run circles around Fedora 3 on the twin Xenon system
    ( apparently mostly because of gam_server ).

    I love Fedora 3, but I want my CPU back !!

    I have been seeing numerous posts about problems with "gam_server" many worse that mine .
    Who maintains that beast ?

    what the %!@& !
    ....Mitch

  2. Re: gam_server , so many complaints

    And why is there an instance running for both root , my normal user login name ?

    Mitch wrote:
    > gam_server ?
    >
    > would somebody shed some light on this for us non-kernel-hacks ? (is
    > gam_server part of the kernel ? part of KDE ?
    >
    > Why is this needed ? What Kernel function did it replace ?
    > How can it be tuned , and WHY do I keep finding it using 70 - 90% of my
    > system resources for looong periods of time (minutes) ? I have a twin
    > 2.7 Ghz Xenon system with 2 gigs of RAM , and this thing make my MOUSE
    > crawl (and except for gam_server, the system is completely idle) ??
    > This is why I left Microsoft products behind years ago !!! I have
    > Slackware 9 installations on Pentium-II's that run circles around Fedora
    > 3 on the twin Xenon system
    > ( apparently mostly because of gam_server ).
    >
    > I love Fedora 3, but I want my CPU back !!
    >
    > I have been seeing numerous posts about problems with "gam_server" many
    > worse that mine .
    > Who maintains that beast ?
    >

    > what the %!@& !
    > ...Mitch

  3. Re: gam_server , so many complaints

    Mitch wrote in

    > And why is there an instance running for both root , my normal user
    > login name ?

    Im also having a small but somewhat annoying zip drive problem when
    ejecting, giving a 'no media found' error every time... also seemingly
    traded to gamin by various bug reports I have been reading. Im using the
    lastest stable version for FC3.

    The way its set up now an instance is supposed to be running for each
    user... or so the FAQs/notes on it say. So thats probably why there are two
    instances. But ask also if anyone knows.. is this actually needed for
    something that no other part of the kernel does?

  4. Re: gam_server , so many complaints

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:08:46 +0000, Mitch wrote:

    > I have been seeing numerous posts about problems with "gam_server" many worse that mine .
    > Who maintains that beast ?

    Try updating the package "gamin" to the latest, which i think is 0.25.xx.

    Maybe that'll help. I had troubles with this thin in FC3 also and
    upgrading gamin helped me.

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  5. Re: gam_server , so many complaints

    , I already tried that, it DID make a difference, but was not a cure. Next time I get a good backup , I am going to just
    try killing it.
    ....M'

    JDS wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:08:46 +0000, Mitch wrote:
    >

    >>I have been seeing numerous posts about problems with "gam_server" many worse that mine .
    >>Who maintains that beast ?

    > Try updating the package "gamin" to the latest, which i think is 0.25.xx.
    >
    > Maybe that'll help. I had troubles with this thin in FC3 also and
    > upgrading gamin helped me.

+ Reply to Thread