why C compiler cannot create executables? - Questions

This is a discussion on why C compiler cannot create executables? - Questions ; Just a question on a weird behaviour of C compiler. If I'm off place, please give the right place where I can post. Why C compiler cannot create executables (both as root and as user) ? ------------------------------------------------- Running configure for ...

  1. why C compiler cannot create executables?

    Just a question on a weird behaviour of C compiler.
    If I'm off place, please give the right place where I can post.

    Why C compiler cannot create executables (both as root and as user) ?

    Running configure for building software, I was stymied since I got this:
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
    cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.

    And in config.log I found:

    gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
    PURPOSE.

    configure:2029: $? = 0
    configure:2031: gcc -v &5
    Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/specs
    Target: i486-slackware-linux
    Configured with: ../gcc-4.1.2/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
    --enable!
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.1.2
    configure:2034: $? = 0
    configure:2036: gcc -V &5
    gcc: '-V' option must have argument
    configure:2039: $? = 1
    configure:2063: checking for C compiler default output
    configure:2066: gcc conftest.c >&5
    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/../../../crt1.o(.text+0xc): In
    functio!
    : undefined reference to `__libc_csu_fini'
    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/../../../crt1.o(.text+0x11): In
    functi!
    : undefined reference to `__libc_csu_init'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    configure:2069: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    | #line 2042 "configure"
    | /* confdefs.h. */
    |
    | #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
    | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
    | #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
    | #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
    | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
    | #define PACKAGE "goben"
    | #define VERSION "0.1.1"
    | /* end confdefs.h. */
    |
    | int
    | main ()
    | {
    |
    | ;
    | return 0;
    | }
    configure:2108: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.

    Thanks for any reply or suggestion,
    Aku Ankka

  2. Re: why C compiler cannot create executables?

    aku-ankka@ducksburg.ca.us writes:

    < Just a question on a weird behaviour of C compiler.
    < If I'm off place, please give the right place where I can post.

    < Why C compiler cannot create executables (both as root and as user) ?

    Try the following and see if it works.

    (unset CC; echo -e "#include \nmain (void) {return \
    (0); }" > tem.c ; /usr/bin/gcc -o tem tem.c && rm -v tem && rm -v tem.c)

    < -------------------------------------------------
    < Running configure for building software, I was stymied since I got this:
    < -------------------------------------------------
    < checking for gcc... gcc
    < checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
    < cannot create executables
    < See `config.log' for more details.

    Could be a typo in the configure script. What program are you trying to
    compile. also a `whereis gcc`, might have several around.

    or

    (unset CC; echo -e "#include \nmain (void) {return
    (0); }" > tem.c ; gcc -o tem tem.c && readelf -l tem | grep '.so' ; rm -v
    tem && rm -v tem.c)

    Should see something like this I hope.
    => [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-linux.so.2]

    The specs file is a bit crazy. I would make a backup before trying to fiddle
    with it. The LFS takes you step by step in bootstrapping gcc. It takes a
    long time and it better to not have several versions unless necessary or
    intended, IMHO.

    Post what program and maybe I can take a quick look. Sometimes the configure
    script is overkill for some programs, but it sure is better than building a
    ghostscript makefile

    < Thanks for any reply or suggestion,
    < Aku Ankka

    hope to help...