kernel hda errors on dmesg - Questions

This is a discussion on kernel hda errors on dmesg - Questions ; I'm trying to figure out what the hell has happened to my ability to use my dvd device. It loads when I boot Mandriva 2008 but it will not load a movie or audio cdrom. I get these errors when ...

  1. kernel hda errors on dmesg

    I'm trying to figure out what the hell has happened to my ability to use my
    dvd device. It loads when I boot Mandriva 2008 but it will not load a movie
    or audio cdrom. I get these errors when I run "dmesg" . I have googled to
    no avail. Using 2007 and was about to install 2008 on second drive. But
    would like to resolve this issue first.

    VFS: busy inodes on changed media.
    VFS: busy inodes on changed media.
    Shorewall:net2allROP:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.105 DST=192.168.1.255
    LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=33736 DPT=7741
    LEN=24
    hdd: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hdd: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 112
[...]

    This message goes on and on. And Google has been no help.

    Rich
    normally involved in alt.os.linux.mandriva
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  2. Re: kernel hda errors on dmesg

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:07:38 -0400, Rich wrote:

    > I'm trying to figure out what the hell has happened to my ability to use
    > my
    > dvd device. It loads when I boot Mandriva 2008 but it will not load a
    > movie
    > or audio cdrom. I get these errors when I run "dmesg" . I have googledto
    > no avail. Using 2007 and was about to install 2008 on second drive. But
    > would like to resolve this issue first.
    >
    > VFS: busy inodes on changed media.
    > VFS: busy inodes on changed media.
    > Shorewall:net2allROP:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.105
    > DST=192.168.1.255
    > LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=33736 DPT=7741
    > LEN=24
    > hdd: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hdd: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
    > ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    > end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 112

    You DVD drive (hdd, ata secondary slave drive) looks like it is having
    trouble talking to your motheboard. I don't know exactly what the
    problem is. The good news, though, is that maybe the cable between
    them is bad, or instead is simply loose! :-) Cheap and easy to tighten
    it up, but don't go inside of a computer case without grounding yourself
    with a nice cheap anti-static wrist band. Try replacing the cable if
    tightening it doesn't work. It sounds like the problem is intermittent
    as you describe it, does it come and go? That is a symptom of a
    hardware problem, such as a loose or bad cable.

    The bad news could be that your silicon is burned, either in your drive,
    or worse in your motherboard. Do you have a habit of going into your
    computer case without a anti-static wrist band? That's a symptom of
    burned silicon. Try replacing the drive with another one attached to
    the same connector (don't forget to set the jumper on the drive for the
    slave setting), see if the other drive talks reliably. If not, then
    that indicates either the cable or motherboard is in trouble. Then try
    a good cable to narrow the problem down to the motherboard.

    Can you try your drive in a spare computer. If it talks reliably on the
    new computer then the drive has good silicon. Change your focus back
    to the old motherboard and old cable.

    Good luck, Rich. You have my sympathies. But maybe it is just a loose
    cable! :-) To reiterate, I don't know exactly what the problem is, so
    take all of this diagnosis with a grain of salt.

    - steve s.

+ Reply to Thread