Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS. - Questions

This is a discussion on Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS. - Questions ; Hello there, I am a kernel developer for Windows for 9-years, I worked with Linux also but not extensively. I am trying to see if I can preview its drivers source code. Can you kindly provide me with the link ...

  1. Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Hello there,

    I am a kernel developer for Windows for 9-years, I worked with Linux also
    but not extensively. I am trying to see if I can preview its drivers source
    code. Can you kindly provide me with the link to where I can download it?
    I heard a portion of the driver code is not published (I thought that
    open-source is supposed to be opened completely)

    Thanks,

    Cam

  2. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Vénus wrote on 12/03/06 13:31:

    > Hello there,
    >
    > I am a kernel developer for Windows for 9-years, I worked with Linux also
    > but not extensively. I am trying to see if I can preview its drivers source
    > code. Can you kindly provide me with the link to where I can download it?
    > I heard a portion of the driver code is not published (I thought that
    > open-source is supposed to be opened completely)

    The ATI driver is not open source...

  3. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Vénus wrote:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > I am a kernel developer for Windows for 9-years, I worked with Linux
    > also but not extensively. I am trying to see if I can preview its
    > drivers source code. Can you kindly provide me with the link to where I
    > can download it? I heard a portion of the driver code is not published
    > (I thought that open-source is supposed to be opened completely)

    The open sourcde code for the ATi graphics chips can be found at www.x.org,
    but thats not the same driver/source as for the closed source driver provided
    by ATi itself.

    //Aho

  4. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    "Joe Feise" wrote in message
    > Vénus wrote on 12/03/06 13:31:
    >
    >> Hello there,
    >>
    >> I am a kernel developer for Windows for 9-years, I worked with Linux also
    >> but not extensively. I am trying to see if I can preview its drivers
    >> source
    >> code. Can you kindly provide me with the link to where I can download
    >> it?
    >> I heard a portion of the driver code is not published (I thought that
    >> open-source is supposed to be opened completely)

    > The ATI driver is not open source...

    I thought so too but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

  5. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    > Vénus wrote:
    >> Hello there,
    >>
    >> I am a kernel developer for Windows for 9-years, I worked with Linux also
    >> but not extensively. I am trying to see if I can preview its drivers
    >> source code. Can you kindly provide me with the link to where I can
    >> download it? I heard a portion of the driver code is not published (I
    >> thought that open-source is supposed to be opened completely)

    > The open sourcde code for the ATi graphics chips can be found at
    > www.x.org, but thats not the same driver/source as for the closed source
    > driver provided by ATi itself.
    >

    > //Aho

    I didn't see anything there, searching results = 0 for "Display" "Video" and
    "ATI"

    Sorry, no results. It said.

  6. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Joe Feise wrote:

    > The ATI driver is not open source...

    On Debian, the Open Source ATI drivers are part of the kernel source:

    dpkg -S radeonfb.ko

    This reveals:

    kernel-image-2.6.8-3-386:
    /lib/modules/2.6.8-3-386/kernel/drivers/video/aty/radeonfb.ko

    To obtain the source:

    apt-get source kernel-image-2.6.8-3-386

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  7. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Mark Hobley wrote on 12/03/06 15:04:

    > Joe Feise wrote:
    >
    >> The ATI driver is not open source...

    > On Debian, the Open Source ATI drivers are part of the kernel source:

    That is *not* the driver from ATI. ATI's driver is not Open Source.

    -Joe

  8. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Vénus wrote:

    > "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    >> Vénus wrote:
    >>> Hello there,
    >>>
    >>> I am a kernel developer for Windows for 9-years, I worked with Linux
    >>> also but not extensively. I am trying to see if I can preview its
    >>> drivers source code. Can you kindly provide me with the link to
    >>> where I can download it? I heard a portion of the driver code is not
    >>> published (I thought that open-source is supposed to be opened
    >>> completely)

    >> The open sourcde code for the ATi graphics chips can be found at
    >> www.x.org, but thats not the same driver/source as for the closed
    >> source driver provided by ATi itself.

    > I didn't see anything there, searching results = 0 for "Display" "Video"
    > and "ATI"
    >
    > Sorry, no results. It said.

    Go to the download section.

    xf86-video-ati-X11R7.1-6.6.0.tar.bz2

    //Aho

  9. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    > Vénus wrote:
    >>
    >> "J.O. Aho" wrote in message

    >>> The open sourcde code for the ATi graphics chips can be found at
    >>> www.x.org, but thats not the same driver/source as for the closed source
    >>> driver provided by ATi itself.

    >> I didn't see anything there, searching results = 0 for "Display" "Video"
    >> and "ATI"
    >>
    >> Sorry, no results. It said.

    > Go to the download section.
    >
    > xf86-video-ati-X11R7.1-6.6.0.tar.bz2

    Thank you very much.

    Have a good day.

  10. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    > Vénus wrote:
    >>
    >> "J.O. Aho" wrote in message

    >>> The open sourcde code for the ATi graphics chips can be found at
    >>> www.x.org, but thats not the same driver/source as for the closed source
    >>> driver provided by ATi itself.

    >> I didn't see anything there, searching results = 0 for "Display" "Video"
    >> and "ATI"
    >>
    >> Sorry, no results. It said.

    > Go to the download section.
    >
    > xf86-video-ati-X11R7.1-6.6.0.tar.bz2
    >

    > //Aho

    ATI must have linked their code with external header files, I suspect they
    must be in the OS somewhere but I failed to find them in the same dnload
    area:
    these files didn't come with the package of ATI driver source:

    xf86str.h
    xf86fbman.h
    xaa.h
    mibank.h
    xf86cursor.h
    xf86Pci.h
    xf86resources.h
    xf86.h
    xf86_OSproc.h
    X11/Xmdh

    Do you happen to know where are they located?

    Thank you much,

  11. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Vénus wrote:

    > ATI must have linked their code with external header files, I suspect
    > they must be in the OS somewhere but I failed to find them in the same
    > dnload area:
    > these files didn't come with the package of ATI driver source:
    >
    > xf86str.h
    > xf86fbman.h
    > xaa.h
    > mibank.h
    > xf86cursor.h
    > xf86Pci.h
    > xf86resources.h
    > xf86.h
    > xf86_OSproc.h
    > X11/Xmdh
    >
    > Do you happen to know where are they located?

    Those are located in other xorg packages, you could also download the whole
    monolithic xorg, the latest is 6.9, that way you get all the headers at once.

    //Aho

  12. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    > Vénus wrote:
    >
    >> ATI must have linked their code with external header files, I suspect
    >> they must be in the OS somewhere but I failed to find them in the same
    >> dnload area:
    >> these files didn't come with the package of ATI driver source:
    >>
    >> xf86str.h
    >> xf86fbman.h
    >> xaa.h
    >> mibank.h
    >> xf86cursor.h
    >> xf86Pci.h
    >> xf86resources.h
    >> xf86.h
    >> xf86_OSproc.h
    >> X11/Xmdh
    >>
    >> Do you happen to know where are they located?

    > Those are located in other xorg packages, you could also download the
    > whole monolithic xorg, the latest is 6.9, that way you get all the headers
    > at once.
    >

    > //Aho

    http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/
    Why these files are listed one by one? This is difficult for me to crab
    because I have a big list of missing header files.

  13. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Vénus wrote:
    > "J.O. Aho" wrote in message

    >>> xf86str.h
    >>> xf86fbman.h
    >>> Do you happen to know where are they located?

    >> Those are located in other xorg packages, you could also download the
    >> whole monolithic xorg, the latest is 6.9, that way you get all the
    >> headers at once.

    > http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/
    > Why these files are listed one by one? This is difficult for me to crab
    > because I have a big list of missing header files.

    The address should have tipped you, "webcvs", it's there so you can browse and
    see changes for each file, it's not meant as a primary way to download files.

    As I said to you, take the monolithic source for 6.9 and you get all the files
    at once, http://x.paracoda.com/pub/X11R6.9.0/....0-src.tar.bz2

    As you are playing with microsoft, you may need the cygwin version to be able
    to build something that works for you. x.cygwin.com

    //Aho

  14. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    =?iso-8859-1?B?VuludXM=?= writes:

    >"J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    >> Vénus wrote:
    >>
    >>> ATI must have linked their code with external header files, I suspect
    >>> they must be in the OS somewhere but I failed to find them in the same
    >>> dnload area:
    >>> these files didn't come with the package of ATI driver source:
    >>>
    >>> xf86str.h
    >>> xf86fbman.h
    >>> xaa.h
    >>> mibank.h
    >>> xf86cursor.h
    >>> xf86Pci.h
    >>> xf86resources.h
    >>> xf86.h
    >>> xf86_OSproc.h
    >>> X11/Xmdh
    >>>
    >>> Do you happen to know where are they located?

    >> Those are located in other xorg packages, you could also download the
    >> whole monolithic xorg, the latest is 6.9, that way you get all the headers
    >> at once.
    >>

    >> //Aho

    >http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/
    >Why these files are listed one by one? This is difficult for me to crab
    >because I have a big list of missing header files.

    Why not? It is those header files that are missing, not others.

    Anywya you need to install some of the xorg development packages for your
    distro.
    Under mandrake for example
    x11-server-devel
    will include a number of those header files.

    urpmf filename
    will tell you which package that filename is part of. Other distros will
    have something similar

  15. Re: Looking for ATI src code.... for Linux OS.

    Joe Feise wrote:

    > That is *not* the driver from ATI. ATI's driver is not Open Source.

    I know it was not developed by ATI, but it is an open source driver for ATI
    cards. There is no need to use a proprietary driver. The open source drivers
    work fine.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --