File Associations - Debian, KDE, Thunderbird - Questions

This is a discussion on File Associations - Debian, KDE, Thunderbird - Questions ; This may be a better question for the T'bird forums, but . . . When I have "text-htm" and "text-html" associated with Firefox ("usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u") in my Control Center | KDE Components | File Associations menu, shouldn't a click on ...

  1. File Associations - Debian, KDE, Thunderbird

    This may be a better question for the T'bird forums, but . . .

    When I have "text-htm" and "text-html" associated with Firefox
    ("usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u") in my Control Center | KDE Components |
    File Associations menu, shouldn't a click on a web link in an e-mail open
    the associated URL in Firefox?

    I can't find a separate association within the Thunderbird configuration.
    The links work fine in Pan, but in T'bird I get an instance of Konqueror,
    a message that Firefox cannot be opened, *and* the appropriate page opened
    in Firefox.

    Ideas?

    User experience rating: Noob+

  2. Re: File Associations - Debian, KDE, Thunderbird

    They would, but Thunderbird isn't a native KDE or GNOME application. It
    ignores the file associations used by the desktop environment and manages
    its own list. Presumably it does this because every OS handles the
    file-type action association differently.

    Here's an article on setting the file-types and actions for Thunderbird:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Actions_fo...ent_file_types

    God Bless Texas wrote:

    > This may be a better question for the T'bird forums, but . . .
    >
    > When I have "text-htm" and "text-html" associated with Firefox
    > ("usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u") in my Control Center | KDE Components |
    > File Associations menu, shouldn't a click on a web link in an e-mail open
    > the associated URL in Firefox?
    >
    > I can't find a separate association within the Thunderbird configuration.
    > The links work fine in Pan, but in T'bird I get an instance of Konqueror,
    > a message that Firefox cannot be opened, *and* the appropriate page opened
    > in Firefox.
    >
    > Ideas?
    >
    > User experience rating: Noob+

+ Reply to Thread