Shell newbie would like to IRC - Questions

This is a discussion on Shell newbie would like to IRC - Questions ; I would like to IRC with anyone who can help me learn the shell. I am currently studying the book "From BASH to the Z Shell" but it's slow going. Lot's of examples to type in but I don't think ...

  1. Shell newbie would like to IRC

    I would like to IRC with anyone who can help me learn the shell. I am
    currently studying the book "From BASH to the Z Shell" but it's slow
    going. Lot's of examples to type in but I don't think things are well
    enough explained. And the really infuriating thing is that some examples
    just plain don't work and since I don't know why I just go on to the
    it together. Also a suggestion for a better book would be appreciated.
    Can anyone recommend "Learning th BASH Shell" (O'Reilly nutshell book)?

    email if interested, please don't flame if not.

  2. Re: Shell newbie would like to IRC

    David wrote:
    > I would like to IRC with anyone who can help me learn the shell. I am
    > currently studying the book "From BASH to the Z Shell" but it's slow
    > going. Lot's of examples to type in but I don't think things are well
    > enough explained. And the really infuriating thing is that some examples
    > just plain don't work and since I don't know why I just go on to the
    > it together. Also a suggestion for a better book would be appreciated.
    > Can anyone recommend "Learning th BASH Shell" (O'Reilly nutshell book)?

    Two books that I had while I studied was

    The Unix Programming Environment, by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike
    Publisher: Prentice Hall
    ISBN: 0-13-937681-X

    Learning the Korn Shell, by Bill Rosenblatt
    Publisher: O'Reilly
    ISBN: 1-56592-054-6

    TUPE is more advanced and isn't a good starter book IMHO, while the LTKS is
    more easy to follow. IMHO you should just dive into BASH, as it's the most
    common shell in the Linux world, when you know BASH then start look what is
    different with the other shells.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Shell newbie would like to IRC

    David wrote:
    > I would like to IRC with anyone who can help me learn the shell. I am
    > currently studying the book "From BASH to the Z Shell" but it's slow
    > going. Lot's of examples to type in but I don't think things are well
    > enough explained. And the really infuriating thing is that some examples
    > just plain don't work and since I don't know why I just go on to the
    > it together. Also a suggestion for a better book would be appreciated.
    > Can anyone recommend "Learning th BASH Shell" (O'Reilly nutshell book)?
    >
    > email if interested, please don't flame if not.

    ========================
    Have you done the Linux course(s) at Linux Online (linux.org) ??

    Frank north of Scotland (a Linux desert)

  4. Re: Shell newbie would like to IRC

    In , on 11/03/2006
    at 11:55 PM, David said:

    >Can anyone recommend "Learning th BASH Shell" (O'Reilly nutshell
    >book)?

    I can't recommend any specifric books, but in general O'Reilly does a
    good job and I'd be inclined to start there.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  5. Re: Shell newbie would like to IRC

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> I would like to IRC with anyone who can help me learn the shell. I am
    >> currently studying the book "From BASH to the Z Shell" but it's slow
    >> going. Lot's of examples to type in but I don't think things are well
    >> enough explained. And the really infuriating thing is that some examples
    >> just plain don't work and since I don't know why I just go on to the
    >> it together. Also a suggestion for a better book would be appreciated.
    >> Can anyone recommend "Learning th BASH Shell" (O'Reilly nutshell book)?

    > Two books that I had while I studied was
    >
    > The Unix Programming Environment, by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike
    > Publisher: Prentice Hall
    > ISBN: 0-13-937681-X
    >
    > Learning the Korn Shell, by Bill Rosenblatt
    > Publisher: O'Reilly
    > ISBN: 1-56592-054-6
    >
    > TUPE is more advanced and isn't a good starter book IMHO, while the LTKS
    > is more easy to follow. IMHO you should just dive into BASH, as it's the
    > most common shell in the Linux world, when you know BASH then start look
    > what is different with the other shells.
    >

    > //Aho

    I would agree with J.O., pick one shell and dive in. I would say it
    depends on what you want to do with Linux, what shell to start with, I
    work with developing public scripts and work pretty much exclusively in
    ksh, which is available on all platforms that I know of.

    The man pages are wonderful tools, especially the ksh on Solaris, if you
    are looking for general information. I would recommend a book
    "Mastering Unix Shell Scripting" by Randal K. Michael from Wiley pub.
    ISBN: 0-471-21821-9, this book walks you through various ways of writing
    scripts, and builds upon the knowledge. Most all of the O'Reilly books,
    at least the ones I've read are good to use also. It really comes down
    to what do you want to do.

    -Good Luck
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread