Best Linux book for newbie? - Questions

This is a discussion on Best Linux book for newbie? - Questions ; I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely on ...

  1. Best Linux book for newbie?

    I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer
    experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux
    distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely
    on a Mac and I am considering SUSE. When I buy a book should I get
    something distribution specific or just a general Linux book? Any
    suggestions of which book to get?

  2. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:41:25 -0600, MarkW wrote:
    > I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer
    > experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux
    > distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely
    > on a Mac and I am considering SUSE. When I buy a book should I get
    > something distribution specific or just a general Linux book? Any
    > suggestions of which book to get?

    It depends on what you want to learn. The range is from linux
    internals up through whatever desktop you want to use.

    To get book suggestions, try best book with the following tip.

    --------- standard search tip follows ---------------------

    Please bookmark the following, very large,
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    key word(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    --------- end standard search tip text ---------------------

    PS:

    You may not know that Multi-posting is antisocial in the Usenet community.

    If you are going to ask the same question in more than one newsgroup,
    crosspost. You conserve resources on NNTP servers, and other readers
    see the follow up answers and do not have to provide the same answer.

    Also, once a reader has "read" a message in one group, they do
    not have to see it again unless someone has provided a follow up.

    To crosspost, just add a comma and the other newsgroup(s).

    If you do cross post, do not get carried away. Pick suitable groups.
    Example: for a scanner
    linux.redhat.install,comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp .periphs.scanners

    See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

+ Reply to Thread