Search for a different distribution... - Questions

This is a discussion on Search for a different distribution... - Questions ; Hi guys I'm looking for a new distribution to install on a machine. I'm currently running SuSE 9.1 Pro on one of my machines and as that's come to the end of its lifetime (no more patches), I'm about to ...

  1. Search for a different distribution...

    Hi guys

    I'm looking for a new distribution to install on a machine. I'm currently
    running SuSE 9.1 Pro on one of my machines and as that's come to the end of its
    lifetime (no more patches), I'm about to re-install on a different machine then
    migrate all my data over to the new machine. Picking the distribution to use on
    the new machine is the question.

    Background: I've used Linux since Redhat 4.0, gave up on Redhat when 5.0 came
    out and was a complete turkey, switched to SuSE at the time and stayed with them
    pretty much since then. The last SuSE I've used in anger is 9.1 but I have 9.2,
    9.3 and am not keen on some of the direction it's taken since the Novell buyout.
    I also have the 10 and 10.1 DVDs and would use 10.1 if I can't find anything
    else better.

    I'm the sysadmin for one SLES9 64 bit and 9 RHEL3 machines at work, have Fedora
    Core 4 installed on my work laptop. I've also got Gentoo 2006 installed on a
    machine here at home and initially I liked that - I still think the idea is good
    but since I've been running it, it's nuked itself at least twice during an
    'emerge --sync/--update world' run and I'm looking for something easier to
    maintain than this (I spend 8 hours a day coercing machines to do what they're
    supposed to do at work so want something a little easier at home!).

    So... I want something rpm based, that gets automatic and timely security
    patches and is low maintenance. A good set of admin tools would be useful. I
    really want something that just works (tm). The target machine is a Shuttle
    SB51G, socket 478 P4 3GHz with 1GB RAM and a 160GB IDE drive, DVD+-RW, ATI
    Radeon 9200, Terratec Aureon (CMedia 8738) soundcard. For most of what I do, I
    use the command line only but this machine is likely to see more use of X than
    before - running Azureus, Seamonkey, Audacity, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, postfix
    and Samba (as both client and server) - that lot accounts for about 90+% of what
    I'll be using it for. No games so 3D graphics etc is not required (or wanted!).
    It does need to interoperate with my other machines - 1 Windoze, 2 OS/2, 1
    Gentoo hence the Samba requirement.

    Distributions so far on my radar screen: SuSE 10.1, FC5, er, that's it. More
    choices required - hence this post. Suggestions please?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  2. Re: Search for a different distribution...

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > Hi guys
    >
    > I'm looking for a new distribution to install on a machine. I'm currently
    > running SuSE 9.1 Pro on one of my machines and as that's come to the end
    > of its lifetime (no more patches), I'm about to re-install on a different
    > machine then migrate all my data over to the new machine. Picking the
    > distribution to use on the new machine is the question.
    >
    > Background: I've used Linux since Redhat 4.0, gave up on Redhat when 5.0
    > came out and was a complete turkey, switched to SuSE at the time and
    > stayed with them pretty much since then. The last SuSE I've used in anger
    > is 9.1 but I have 9.2, 9.3 and am not keen on some of the direction it's
    > taken since the Novell buyout. I also have the 10 and 10.1 DVDs and would
    > use 10.1 if I can't find anything else better.
    >
    > I'm the sysadmin for one SLES9 64 bit and 9 RHEL3 machines at work, have
    > Fedora Core 4 installed on my work laptop. I've also got Gentoo 2006
    > installed on a machine here at home and initially I liked that - I still
    > think the idea is good but since I've been running it, it's nuked itself
    > at least twice during an 'emerge --sync/--update world' run and I'm
    > looking for something easier to maintain than this (I spend 8 hours a day
    > coercing machines to do what they're supposed to do at work so want
    > something a little easier at home!).
    >
    > So... I want something rpm based, that gets automatic and timely security
    > patches and is low maintenance. A good set of admin tools would be useful.
    > I really want something that just works (tm). The target machine is a
    > Shuttle SB51G, socket 478 P4 3GHz with 1GB RAM and a 160GB IDE drive,
    > DVD+-RW, ATI Radeon 9200, Terratec Aureon (CMedia 8738) soundcard. For
    > most of what I do, I use the command line only but this machine is likely
    > to see more use of X than before - running Azureus, Seamonkey, Audacity,
    > Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, postfix and Samba (as both client and server) -
    > that lot accounts for about 90+% of what I'll be using it for. No games so
    > 3D graphics etc is not required (or wanted!). It does need to interoperate
    > with my other machines - 1 Windoze, 2 OS/2, 1 Gentoo hence the Samba
    > requirement.
    >
    > Distributions so far on my radar screen: SuSE 10.1, FC5, er, that's it.
    > More choices required - hence this post. Suggestions please?

    My $.02 worth:

    I run an XPC ST20G5 on my desktop with SUSE 10.1 (the OPEN version) and I
    have a small server farm running most of what you stated which consist of
    four (4) SK41G's and SK43G's all running SUSE 10.0.

    I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS with the servers in stability, performance and
    available updates (notification and application). I would HIGHLY recommend
    either the 10.0 or 10.1. The issues I have with my desktop is that the
    components are just plain too new to be perfectly supported by any linux.
    As far as performance.... WHEW! is all I can say.

    Hope this helps!

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread