How to install software - Questions

This is a discussion on How to install software - Questions ; Thanks in advance.... Very new to Linux here...installed kubuntu...downloaded a files named kdegames-3.5.4.tar, kdeutils-3.5.4.tar, and kdeaddons-3.5.4.tar...How do I install these? And remember , I am VERY new with Linux... Thanks again... Michael...

  1. How to install software

    Thanks in advance....

    Very new to Linux here...installed kubuntu...downloaded a files named
    kdegames-3.5.4.tar, kdeutils-3.5.4.tar, and kdeaddons-3.5.4.tar...How do I
    install these? And remember , I am VERY new with Linux...

    Thanks again...
    Michael

  2. Re: How to install software

    madd9308 wrote:
    > Thanks in advance....
    >
    > Very new to Linux here...installed kubuntu...downloaded a files named
    > kdegames-3.5.4.tar, kdeutils-3.5.4.tar, and kdeaddons-3.5.4.tar...How do I
    > install these? And remember , I am VERY new with Linux...
    >
    > Thanks again...
    > Michael

    Hi Michael,

    Before downloading/using tar files: somewhere in your KDE menu you
    should find an application called "kpackage" or "synaptic". Take a look
    at it - it will install Kubuntu packages without you having to download
    applications yourself.

    To answer your original question:
    - if the file ends with .tar.gz, then: tar -xzf file.tar.gz
    - if the file ends with .tar, then: tar -xf file.tar
    after that: "cd ; ./configure && make", where is
    the directory that (should have) appeared after running tar. That should
    compile the application in the same directory. If you run "make install"
    as root, it should install it to /usr/local or whatever it is
    configured to install to.

    Mihai

  3. Re: How to install software

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.questions, in article
    , madd9308 wrote:

    >Very new to Linux here...installed kubuntu

    Point your news tool at "alt.os.linux.ubuntu" - it's a _relatively_ new
    (appeared on my server in November 2005), and runs about 22 articles a day
    (compared to about 36 articles a month here). The people are friendly, and
    helpful.

    >downloaded a files named kdegames-3.5.4.tar, kdeutils-3.5.4.tar, and
    >kdeaddons-3.5.4.tar.

    From where? And more importantly, why? _Very_big_clue_ - don't download
    tarballs when your distribution already provides those packages. The
    reason for the caution is that your distribution audits the files, to make
    sure they are clean, AND that there are no compatibility problems. While a
    tarball is generally the lowest common denominator - usable over the widest
    number of distributions and releases, it takes substantially more work on
    your part to make sure you have all the needed parts and that they will
    work together.

    If you haven't discovered the 'man' (manual) pages that should be on your
    system, start with 'man man' which gives you the manual page on the manual.
    Use the arrow keys to move around, and press 'q' to quit when done. You'll
    also want to read the man page on 'apt' and 'apt-get' which are Debian tools
    to get and install packages.

    >How do I install these? And remember , I am VERY new with Linux...

    which is why I _REALLY_ don't recommend this. The short version is that you
    first find out what is in that tarball. From a command line, run

    tar -tf /path/to/kdegames-3.5.4.tar

    which will list a bunch of files. Do the filenames begin with a directory
    name like

    kdegames/CHANGES
    kdegames/INSTALL
    kdegames/README

    notice - no leading slash. The un-tar operation will create a directory
    (here named 'kdegames') in the directory where the tarball is now located,
    and drop files into that. If the listing does not have that leading
    directory name, like

    CHANGES
    INSTALL
    README

    the un-tar operation is going to drop the files "right here", so create
    an appropriate directory ('mkdir kdegames') and move the tarball in there
    so things are easier to clean up afterwards. The other possibility is
    that the listing will show a directory as above, but with a leading slash

    /kdegames/CHANGES
    /kdegames/INSTALL
    /kdegames/README

    This is a sign of an inconsiderate package author, and many people refuse to
    install such packages.

    Next, you need to "unpack" the package. You say that the file name ends in
    ..tar, and not .tar.gz (or .tgz) which indicates the file is compressed using
    gzip, or not .tar.bz2 which indicate that the file is compressed using bzip2,
    or even tar.Z (for the ancient 'compress' algorithm). That's a bit unusual.
    'cd' to the directory where the tarball is located and give the command

    tar -xvhf kdegames-3.5.4.tar OR
    tar -zxvhf kdegames-3.5.4.tar.gz OR
    tar -zxvhf kdegames-3.5.4.tgz OR
    tar -jxvhf kdegames-3.5.4.bz2

    (depending on the final file extension). 'cd' into the directory it has
    created and start reading those files named with all UPPER-CASE letters.

    What happens next is going to depend on what's in those files. Most probably,
    you'll have to compile things - possibly starting by running a configuration
    script named ./configure. Then there will be a 'Makefile' that you should
    read to see what it's going to do - where is it going to install things,
    what things, and so on. The instructions will likely then tell you to
    run 'make' which actually compiles the program and makes it into an
    executable, and then become root and run 'make install' to actually install
    the executables and documentation. I really can not tell you what else would
    be needed, because each tarball is different to one extent or the other.

    Now, do you see why you should be using your distribution's package manager?
    I've gone a page and a half here, and I'm just giving 'generic' instruction,
    because the specifics vary so much. Oh, and all of this assumes that you
    have the required libraries installed, the compiler, and other tools like
    'make'... No, I'm not joking.

    So, plug in 'alt.os.linux.ubuntu' into your news reader, and at least scan
    the last 400 articles that were posted to that group (so you have some idea
    of what the questions and answers look like), and ask how to install the
    [k]ubuntu packages that you need. It will be a LOT easier.

    Old guy

  4. Re: How to install software

    Well, if you are using KUbuntu, you'd generally not install apps from
    tarballs but rather from pre-compiled packages. Run Synaptic and select the
    things you want, or from a commond line:

    apt-get kdegames
    apt-get kdeutils
    apt-get kdeaddons

    madd9308 wrote:

    > Thanks in advance....
    >
    > Very new to Linux here...installed kubuntu...downloaded a files named
    > kdegames-3.5.4.tar, kdeutils-3.5.4.tar, and kdeaddons-3.5.4.tar...How do I
    > install these? And remember , I am VERY new with Linux...
    >
    > Thanks again...
    > Michael

+ Reply to Thread