linux login screen - Questions

This is a discussion on linux login screen - Questions ; hello, we have a lab with linux machines. Typicaly the login screen is displayed on it. Is there a screensaver (of some kind) that can be used so the login screen doesn't burn in ? thanks, Ron...

  1. linux login screen

    hello,

    we have a lab with linux machines. Typicaly the login screen is
    displayed on it.

    Is there a screensaver (of some kind) that can be used so the
    login screen doesn't burn in ?

    thanks,

    Ron

  2. Re: linux login screen

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.questions, in article
    , Ron Croonenberg wrote:

    >we have a lab with linux machines. Typicaly the login screen is
    >displayed on it.
    >
    >Is there a screensaver (of some kind) that can be used so the
    >login screen doesn't burn in ?

    First, phosphor burn-in hasn't been a real problem in years, unless
    someone has the intensity set really really high. Most screen savers
    today are aesthetic (or to hide the contents of the display) rather
    than preventing damage.

    Now, a screen saver before login is going to have to be running at the
    BIOS or apci level unless you have a "different" /bin/login OR you are
    running a GUI display manager.

    1. Determine what distribution and release you are using
    'cat /etc/*release /etc/*version'

    2. Determine which runlevel you are using (look in /etc/inittab) which
    may tell you if you are using a graphic display manager. Otherwise, log
    in, and run the command 'ps afuwx' and notice the "first" application
    running with your username - it may be 'bash' (text login) or some GUI
    desktop (if so, _which_ one of the dozens available).

    3. Determine if your hardware can/does use power management

    Then, post that information to an active newsgroup - comp.os.linux.setup
    is likely a good one, as this newsgroup is considered bogus, and only
    carried on misconfigured news servers (do a search in the newsgroups
    news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, or news.lists.misc for the monthly
    posting of "List of Big Eight Newsgroups").

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread