Path to 'c' compiler, eh ?? - Questions

This is a discussion on Path to 'c' compiler, eh ?? - Questions ; New install of Suse 10.0, I am having trouble installing software. When I rune the Big 3 (./configure, make, make install, in 'su' ) after ruminations I get the following error message: configure: error: no acceptable c compiler found in ...

  1. Path to 'c' compiler, eh ??

    New install of Suse 10.0, I am having trouble installing software. When
    I rune the Big 3 (./configure, make, make install, in 'su' ) after
    ruminations I get the following error message:

    configure: error: no acceptable c compiler found in $path',

    I am out of ideas and have several software packages I wish to install,
    could someone please help me please ???

    thanks and regards
    DesCavin.......................................... ....................

  2. Re: Path to 'c' compiler, eh ??

    Seems that you don't have gcc or another C compiler installed, or the
    binary is installed outside of $PATH. Check that you have installed the
    development packages. I'm not familiar with Suse, so I can't say much more.

    Des Cavin wrote:
    > New install of Suse 10.0, I am having trouble installing software. When
    > I rune the Big 3 (./configure, make, make install, in 'su' ) after
    > ruminations I get the following error message:
    >
    > configure: error: no acceptable c compiler found in $path',
    >
    > I am out of ideas and have several software packages I wish to install,
    > could someone please help me please ???
    >
    > thanks and regards
    > DesCavin.......................................... ....................

  3. Re: Path to 'c' compiler, eh ??

    Hi 'Some-Dude',
    thanks for the reply, the funny thing is
    that I've installed Suse 10 on laptop too with the exact same response
    eh??? :-(

    Some Dude wrote:
    > Seems that you don't have gcc or another C compiler installed, or the
    > binary is installed outside of $PATH. Check that you have installed
    > the development packages. I'm not familiar with Suse, so I can't say
    > much more.
    >
    > Des Cavin wrote:
    >> New install of Suse 10.0, I am having trouble installing software.
    >> When I rune the Big 3 (./configure, make, make install, in 'su' )
    >> after ruminations I get the following error message:
    >>
    >> configure: error: no acceptable c compiler found in $path',
    >>
    >> I am out of ideas and have several software packages I wish to
    >> install, could someone please help me please ???
    >>
    >> thanks and regards
    >> DesCavin.......................................... ....................

  4. Re: Path to 'c' compiler, eh ??

    Des Cavin wrote:
    > Hi 'Some-Dude',
    > thanks for the reply, the funny thing is
    > that I've installed Suse 10 on laptop too with the exact same response
    > eh??? :-(

    I've only installed Suse once, and that was about 6 years ago. From my
    experience, most distributions have "install types" such as workstation,
    server, minimal, etc. I also know that some distributions have a
    "development" install, which includes compilers, headers, libraries,
    etc. If you've installed something along the lines of workstation and
    there was no mention of development, it could be that such packages were
    left out because of the install type.

    I really don't remember how the RPM system works, much less Yast (or
    what Suse uses), but I'd try to "locate" gcc. If nothing worth while is
    found, I'd load-up the CD/DVD, and manually install the missing files,
    such as gcc-x.y.z-vv.i586.rpm and glibc-devel-x.y.z-vv.i586.rpm.

+ Reply to Thread