(Q) initfs and bootable CD's - Questions

This is a discussion on (Q) initfs and bootable CD's - Questions ; I'd like to use initfs to boot from a CD without anything being written to the hard disk drive. Has anybody used this and made it work ? Login doesn't work as root or other user. It keeps rejecting me...

  1. (Q) initfs and bootable CD's

    I'd like to use initfs to boot from a CD without anything being written to
    the hard disk drive.
    Has anybody used this and made it work ?
    Login doesn't work as root or other user.
    It keeps rejecting me

  2. Re: (Q) initfs and bootable CD's

    Dickie wrote:
    > I'd like to use initfs to boot from a CD without anything being written to
    > the hard disk drive.
    > Has anybody used this and made it work ?
    > Login doesn't work as root or other user.
    > It keeps rejecting me

    I would try starting a shell as the initial process to start with or maybe use
    some single user scripts which don't require authentication. Once you can boot
    the system and get a shell, then I would look at implementing login.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: (Q) initfs and bootable CD's

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 02:07:54 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Dickie wrote:
    >> I'd like to use initfs to boot from a CD without anything being written
    >> to the hard disk drive.
    >> Has anybody used this and made it work ? Login doesn't work as root or
    >> other user. It keeps rejecting me

    > I would try starting a shell as the initial process to start with or maybe
    > use some single user scripts which don't require authentication. Once you
    > can boot the system and get a shell, then I would look at implementing
    > login.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    Instead of guessing or making things up why not look up the answer?

    http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

    This google search took a mere .23 seconds and gives numerous
    methods of accomplishing the deed. Only took me 30 seconds or so to
    formulate the search and that included firing up the browser...

+ Reply to Thread