Help running X Apps on Sun box remotely on my linux desktops - Questions

This is a discussion on Help running X Apps on Sun box remotely on my linux desktops - Questions ; Hope someone knows the answer here::: Currently: I have a couple of Sun servers that manage, monitor etc. a lot of equip in my company. All desktops (Windows boxes) run Hummingbird Exceed to xclient into the sun boxes to run ...

  1. Help running X Apps on Sun box remotely on my linux desktops

    Hope someone knows the answer here:::

    Currently:
    I have a couple of Sun servers that manage, monitor etc. a lot of equip
    in my company. All desktops (Windows boxes) run Hummingbird Exceed to
    xclient into the sun boxes to run certain monitoring X apps etc. No problem.

    What I want:
    Putting some linux boxes around the office but need to be able to run
    those X apps that are on the sun boxes on the linux desktops like we can
    already do on the windows desktops using exceed.

    Is this possible? If so, can they be run in a terminal within X or do I
    have to open this from a text screen? (prefer to be at a X desktop and
    just call a term window or something of that nature. Can someone point
    me in the right direction???

    Thank you very much in advance.
    Tim

  2. Re: Help running X Apps on Sun box remotely on my linux desktops

    Tim Fultz wrote:
    > Hope someone knows the answer here:::
    >
    > Currently:
    > I have a couple of Sun servers that manage, monitor etc. a lot of equip
    > in my company. All desktops (Windows boxes) run Hummingbird Exceed to
    > xclient into the sun boxes to run certain monitoring X apps etc. No
    > problem.
    >
    > What I want:
    > Putting some linux boxes around the office but need to be able to run
    > those X apps that are on the sun boxes on the linux desktops like we can
    > already do on the windows desktops using exceed.
    >
    > Is this possible?

    Of course it is possible. Your Linux X environment is exactly the same as the
    eXceed environment, and anything you can do in eXceed, you can do in Linux.

    > If so, can they be run in a terminal within X

    Yes, if you want

    > or do I have to open this from a text screen?

    No, you have to have X running.

    > (prefer to be at a X desktop and
    > just call a term window or something of that nature. Can someone point
    > me in the right direction???

    You can either use ssh X11Forwarding, or just let X across your network.

    If you use ssh & X11Forwarding on linux:
    ssh me@sun.host sun_x_app
    to run your sun_x_app binary on the sun.host server, to display on your Linux
    desktop.

    Or, if you use telnet/rsh
    xhost +sun.host
    rsh -l me sun.host sun_x_app
    (you might have to set the $DISPLAY variable on the sun.host server, and/or
    specify absolute paths to your executable; it depends on how well you've set
    up the sun side of the equation)

    - --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Help running X Apps on Sun box remotely on my linux desktops

    Yes, you can install Linux X terminals. It's easier to setup than using
    Exceed on Windows.

    On the Linux box, you can grant a host, say 'myhost.mylan.com', permission
    to use it's display with:

    xhost +myhost.mylan.com

    Then login to the Sun box and tell it to use the Linux machine's display:

    DISPLAY=linuxbox.mylan.com:0.0

    Then run an application:

    xterm

    .... you can, of course, script these things, put icons on the desktop for
    it, secure it with SSH, and all sort of other things.

    Tim Fultz wrote:

    > Hope someone knows the answer here:::
    >
    > Currently:
    > I have a couple of Sun servers that manage, monitor etc. a lot of equip
    > in my company. All desktops (Windows boxes) run Hummingbird Exceed to
    > xclient into the sun boxes to run certain monitoring X apps etc. No
    > problem.
    >
    > What I want:
    > Putting some linux boxes around the office but need to be able to run
    > those X apps that are on the sun boxes on the linux desktops like we can
    > already do on the windows desktops using exceed.
    >
    > Is this possible? If so, can they be run in a terminal within X or do I
    > have to open this from a text screen? (prefer to be at a X desktop and
    > just call a term window or something of that nature. Can someone point
    > me in the right direction???
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance.
    > Tim

+ Reply to Thread