Adobe Acrobat reader plugin for Firefox not working - Questions

This is a discussion on Adobe Acrobat reader plugin for Firefox not working - Questions ; I can't seem to get firefox to open up a pdf file. The plugin is installed int the proper directory and I even reinstalled firefox, but still it won't work. I gives some kind of path environment error. How do ...

  1. Adobe Acrobat reader plugin for Firefox not working

    I can't seem to get firefox to open up a pdf file. The plugin is
    installed int the proper directory and I even reinstalled firefox, but
    still it won't work. I gives some kind of path environment error. How do
    I fix this? I am using Vector Linux

    Roger

  2. Re: Adobe Acrobat reader plugin for Firefox not working

    Z.K. wrote:
    > I can't seem to get firefox to open up a pdf file. The plugin is
    > installed int the proper directory and I even reinstalled firefox, but
    > still it won't work. I gives some kind of path environment error. How do
    > I fix this? I am using Vector Linux
    >
    > Roger

    You know, I have been noticing this for a long time. I use Mandriva
    2006, which is ok, but that isn't it. Beginning with Mandrake-10.1, we
    began using xorg rather than xfree, and I noticed that I can't read
    pdf's online anymore.

    I realize that you asked a Firefox question, and in fact I'm still using
    Mozilla. I don't mean to seem out of order, but no one else answered.

    What I have been doing for about a year is to save pdf's to my Documents
    directory, and then opening them directly with Acrobat 7.

    One thing that may be pertinent in my case is that I have been moving my
    home directory over for several years, when I upgrade. I began my
    present home under mandrake-9.0, and now I am using mandriva 2006.

    I wonder if it matters. I do dread to start from scratch, but maybe
    someone with a high-speed connection will volunteer.

    my two

    RLU #352695
    35.14N - 101.50W

  3. Re: Adobe Acrobat reader plugin for Firefox not working

    Michael Hearne wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >>I can't seem to get firefox to open up a pdf file. The plugin is
    >>installed int the proper directory and I even reinstalled firefox, but
    >>still it won't work. I gives some kind of path environment error. How do
    >>I fix this? I am using Vector Linux
    >>
    >> Roger

    > You know, I have been noticing this for a long time. I use Mandriva
    > 2006, which is ok, but that isn't it. Beginning with Mandrake-10.1, we
    > began using xorg rather than xfree, and I noticed that I can't read
    > pdf's online anymore.
    >
    > I realize that you asked a Firefox question, and in fact I'm still using
    > Mozilla. I don't mean to seem out of order, but no one else answered.
    >
    > What I have been doing for about a year is to save pdf's to my Documents
    > directory, and then opening them directly with Acrobat 7.
    >
    > One thing that may be pertinent in my case is that I have been moving my
    > home directory over for several years, when I upgrade. I began my
    > present home under mandrake-9.0, and now I am using mandriva 2006.
    >
    > I wonder if it matters. I do dread to start from scratch, but maybe
    > someone with a high-speed connection will volunteer.
    >
    > my two
    >
    > --

    That sounds a bit strange though I am afraid that I can't help really.
    In my case, I installed adobe 7 and it works except for in firefox.
    Usually, I open up konqueror which still uses kpdf and it works fine.
    Thanks for the respone though as no one else has bothered to answer my
    question. I would think this would be a simple fix for someone who is an
    expert at linux, but maybe not.

    Z.K.

  4. Re: Adobe Acrobat reader plugin for Firefox not working

    Z.K. wrote:
    > Michael Hearne wrote:
    >> Z.K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't seem to get firefox to open up a pdf file. The plugin is
    >>> installed int the proper directory and I even reinstalled firefox, but
    >>> still it won't work. I gives some kind of path environment error. How do
    >>> I fix this? I am using Vector Linux
    >>>
    >>> Roger

    >> You know, I have been noticing this for a long time. I use Mandriva
    >> 2006, which is ok, but that isn't it. Beginning with Mandrake-10.1, we
    >> began using xorg rather than xfree, and I noticed that I can't read
    >> pdf's online anymore.
    >>
    >> I realize that you asked a Firefox question, and in fact I'm still using
    >> Mozilla. I don't mean to seem out of order, but no one else answered.
    >>
    >> What I have been doing for about a year is to save pdf's to my Documents
    >> directory, and then opening them directly with Acrobat 7.
    >>
    >> One thing that may be pertinent in my case is that I have been moving my
    >> home directory over for several years, when I upgrade. I began my
    >> present home under mandrake-9.0, and now I am using mandriva 2006.
    >>
    >> I wonder if it matters. I do dread to start from scratch, but maybe
    >> someone with a high-speed connection will volunteer.
    >>
    >> my two
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > That sounds a bit strange though I am afraid that I can't help really.
    > In my case, I installed adobe 7 and it works except for in firefox.
    > Usually, I open up konqueror which still uses kpdf and it works fine.
    > Thanks for the respone though as no one else has bothered to answer my
    > question. I would think this would be a simple fix for someone who is an
    > expert at linux, but maybe not.
    >
    > Z.K.

    Strange, I didn't have the plugin (Adobe Reader 7) installed 'cause I'd
    rather, and usually just download and "open with." But I decided to see
    if I could get failures when loading PDFs, such as asking me were to
    download, or what to open the file with. After manually copying the file
    nppdf.so into Firefox's main plugin's directory, all PDFs opened as they
    should, in a Firefox window. Maybe it's a version problem? I'm using
    Adobe Reader 7 and Firefox 1.5.0.3.

+ Reply to Thread