Slashdots new policy - Questions

This is a discussion on Slashdots new policy - Questions ; I tried to post to Slashdot earlier tonight, and received the following message: "Sorry, but according to our tests, you are trying to post from an open HTTP proxy. Please close the proxy or ask your sysadmin or ISP to ...

  1. Slashdots new policy

    I tried to post to Slashdot earlier tonight, and received the following
    message:

    "Sorry, but according to our tests, you are trying to post from an open
    HTTP proxy. Please close the proxy or ask your sysadmin or ISP to do so,
    because open proxies are used to spam web boards like this one.

    If you have questions, mention that your proxy is at x.xxx.xxx.xxx on
    port 3128."

    Did they hire a new "graduate" or something, or do they not realize that
    many of us can't post without squid and shorewall?

    I don't understand this at all.

    Their TESTS! Why don't we just all close our firewalls down, and let
    them do what the Hell they want?

    I really can't wait until they ask me to moderate again.

    Michael

    --
    RLU #352695
    35.14N - 101.50W

  2. Re: Slashdots new policy

    Michael Hearne wrote:

    [Slashdot:]

    > "Sorry, but according to our tests, you are trying to post from an open
    > HTTP proxy. Please close the proxy or ask your sysadmin or ISP to do so,
    > because open proxies are used to spam web boards like this one.
    >
    > If you have questions, mention that your proxy is at x.xxx.xxx.xxx on
    > port 3128."
    >
    > Did they hire a new "graduate" or something, or do they not realize that
    > many of us can't post without squid and shorewall?

    I feel a bit dirty seeming as if I'm defending VA $WHATEVER management,
    but feel obliged to point out that "_open_ proxy" means a Squid cache
    (or whatever) that is manipulable from _outside_.[1] Which would mean
    misconfiguration.

    I have no idea whether their tests for such things are accurate, mind you.

    [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_proxy

+ Reply to Thread