broken pipe on makewhatis.cron - Questions

This is a discussion on broken pipe on makewhatis.cron - Questions ; Hi. Running FC4 on a bunch of Intel i686 boxes ... We recently replaced an older i686 with a newer model. We installed FC4 on same. /etc/cron.weekly/makewhatis.cron produces the msg zcat: stdout: Broken pipe 65 times in its email report. ...

  1. broken pipe on makewhatis.cron

    Hi.

    Running FC4 on a bunch of Intel i686 boxes ...

    We recently replaced an older i686 with a newer model. We installed FC4 on
    same. /etc/cron.weekly/makewhatis.cron produces the msg
    zcat: stdout: Broken pipe
    65 times in its email report.

    For what it's worth, it appears that /var/cache/man/whatis is OK and
    up-to-date.

    Does anybody have an explanation for this error msg, and how to fix same?

    Thanks.

    --
    Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker
    GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?

  2. Re: broken pipe on makewhatis.cron

    Art Werschulz writes:

    > We recently replaced an older i686 with a newer model. We installed FC4 on
    > same. /etc/cron.weekly/makewhatis.cron produces the msg
    > zcat: stdout: Broken pipe
    > 65 times in its email report.

    I get this once in a while, but not every week. Never bothered to figure
    out what caused or whether anything is broken. I'd assume that the
    following week makewhatis will fix it and only if it failed every single
    week I would try debugging it.

    -- HASM

  3. Re: broken pipe on makewhatis.cron

    On 05 Feb 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.questions, in article
    , Art Werschulz wrote:

    >/etc/cron.weekly/makewhatis.cron produces the msg
    > zcat: stdout: Broken pipe
    >65 times in its email report.

    /usr/sbin/makewhatis here is a Bourne shell script. Zcat is used to
    read the man pages that are compressed with gzip. There is an error
    recovery mechanism in the script, but that message suggests than when
    zcat tried to read the file, it couldn't. One reason I've seen for that
    is a broken link. You might try using find to locate links in the entire
    MANPATH and see if some are missing. Another way to find this would
    be to use 'rpm -Va' and see what the package manager thinks is broken.
    You may want to run that command as root to avoid permission problems,
    and DO expect a number of "false" positives (mainly ownership changes
    and configuration files).

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread