unhiding folders? - Questions

This is a discussion on unhiding folders? - Questions ; Is there a configuration file somewhere to control hidden folders? On Suse10 with KDE, all program folders in a user's folder are hidden, which prevents seeing them in a file-open dialogue. I see that I can unhide a folder by ...

  1. unhiding folders?

    Is there a configuration file somewhere to control
    hidden folders? On Suse10 with KDE, all program
    folders in a user's folder are hidden, which prevents
    seeing them in a file-open dialogue. I see that I can
    unhide a folder by removing the prepended period,
    but when I tried changing the .wine folder to wine,
    the next time I started winecfg it created an entirely
    new folder tree without asking!

  2. Re: unhiding folders?

    mayayana wrote:
    > Is there a configuration file somewhere to control
    > hidden folders? On Suse10 with KDE, all program
    > folders in a user's folder are hidden, which prevents
    > seeing them in a file-open dialogue. I see that I can
    > unhide a folder by removing the prepended period,
    > but when I tried changing the .wine folder to wine,
    > the next time I started winecfg it created an entirely
    > new folder tree without asking!

    The period is the way linux (and any unix system) hides files, if you
    remove the period then you unhide the file, but as you are also changing
    the directory name then programs the use that directory will not be able
    to find it. you can just choose to unhide all files in your file manager.
    In nautilus for example just press Ctrl+H. but it should be easily
    acessible through then menus in any file manager.

  3. Re: unhiding folders?

    Dunno about GNOME, but in KDE you'll note in the file dialog that there's a
    little wrench icon next to the location field. If you click on that and
    select 'Show hidden files', you'll see them. Using the file manager, select
    'Show hidden files' from the 'View' menu.

    mayayana wrote:

    > Is there a configuration file somewhere to control
    > hidden folders? On Suse10 with KDE, all program
    > folders in a user's folder are hidden, which prevents
    > seeing them in a file-open dialogue. I see that I can
    > unhide a folder by removing the prepended period,
    > but when I tried changing the .wine folder to wine,
    > the next time I started winecfg it created an entirely
    > new folder tree without asking!

+ Reply to Thread