OpenOffice 1.1.0 --> version 2 - Questions

This is a discussion on OpenOffice 1.1.0 --> version 2 - Questions ; Although I'm quite happy with the OO 1.1.0 that came with Linux SuSE 9.0 Pro, it does lack the Paintbrush feature that I so miss from my AmiPro days. Reading the reviews of V2, I notice that the file formats ...

  1. OpenOffice 1.1.0 --> version 2

    Although I'm quite happy with the OO 1.1.0 that came with Linux SuSE 9.0
    Pro, it does lack the Paintbrush feature that I so miss from my AmiPro
    days.

    Reading the reviews of V2, I notice that the file formats have changed
    to comply with the OpenDocument world.

    So if I upgrade to V2 what will happen with my old 1.1.0 '.sxw' etc.
    files, and letter-heads, styles, etc.?

    Does V2 accept them?

    Is it possible to install V2 alongside 1.1.0 such that it will
    find and read the existing 1.1.0 files?

    --
    Maurice Batey
    (Retired in Hampshire, UK)

  2. Re: OpenOffice 1.1.0 --> version 2

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > So if I upgrade to V2 what will happen with my old 1.1.0 '.sxw' etc.
    > files, and letter-heads, styles, etc.?
    >
    > Does V2 accept them?

    do not know

    > Is it possible to install V2 alongside 1.1.0 such that it will
    > find and read the existing 1.1.0 files?

    When I installed OO v2, it was installed
    to /opt/openoffice.org2.0 keeping old dir
    /opt/openoffice.org1.9.125

    So, looks like it installed along side of the old version, you
    will have to adjust your path to determine which version to use

    --
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
    or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is

  3. Re: OpenOffice 1.1.0 --> version 2

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > Although I'm quite happy with the OO 1.1.0 that came with Linux SuSE 9.0
    > Pro, it does lack the Paintbrush feature that I so miss from my AmiPro
    > days.
    >
    > Reading the reviews of V2, I notice that the file formats have changed
    > to comply with the OpenDocument world.
    >
    > So if I upgrade to V2 what will happen with my old 1.1.0 '.sxw' etc.
    > files, and letter-heads, styles, etc.?

    Nothing will happen to them.

    > Does V2 accept them?

    Yes. OOo v2 is backwards compatable with OOo v1
    All your OOo v1 files work in OOo v2

    > Is it possible to install V2 alongside 1.1.0 such that it will
    > find and read the existing 1.1.0 files?

    Yes. OOo v1 and OOo v2 (the OpenOffice.org downloads) install in different
    directories. I don't know if the SuSE repackaging has changed this, so be
    carefull when you install OOo v2.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

  4. Re: OpenOffice 1.1.0 --> version 2

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > Although I'm quite happy with the OO 1.1.0 that came with Linux SuSE 9.0
    > Pro, it does lack the Paintbrush feature that I so miss from my AmiPro
    > days.
    >
    > Reading the reviews of V2, I notice that the file formats have changed
    > to comply with the OpenDocument world.
    >
    > So if I upgrade to V2 what will happen with my old 1.1.0 '.sxw' etc.
    > files, and letter-heads, styles, etc.?
    >
    > Does V2 accept them?

    Yes!

    > Is it possible to install V2 alongside 1.1.0 such that it will
    > find and read the existing 1.1.0 files?

    No need to have both, just upgrade to 2.0.

    --
    "There is nothing I understand." - ****

+ Reply to Thread