music - Questions

This is a discussion on music - Questions ; Hi all, Currently ive got a creative aufigy 2 (z something) soundcard, and use the media recorder software bundled with it to record my guitar/keyboard etc. I also have some drum machine software. Im wanting to move over to linux, ...

  1. music

    Hi all,

    Currently ive got a creative aufigy 2 (z something) soundcard, and use
    the media recorder software bundled with it to record my guitar/keyboard
    etc. I also have some drum machine software.

    Im wanting to move over to linux, as the software (mainly) drivers arent
    that stable and the machine isnt fast enough for win xp.

    Can anyone point me to some good recording software i could use, and
    possiblt a drum machine.

    Cheers

    Dave

  2. Re: music

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:42:14 GMT, Dave Frost
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Currently ive got a creative aufigy 2 (z something) soundcard, and use
    >the media recorder software bundled with it to record my guitar/keyboard
    >etc. I also have some drum machine software.
    >
    >Im wanting to move over to linux, as the software (mainly) drivers arent
    >that stable and the machine isnt fast enough for win xp.
    >
    >Can anyone point me to some good recording software i could use, and
    >possiblt a drum machine.

    Hydrogen is a drum machine that works good for me, on linux.

    As far as recording from your keyboard, the alsa sound system,
    which is the default sound driver for most linux systems, has
    a set of command line utilities fro playing and recording audio
    and midi. For midi, there is 'arecordmidi'.

    You also might want to google for "audio low latency kernel"
    to get special kernel patches, or a kernel with low latency, to make
    your computer respond more in real-time. But you may find that
    you don't need it.

    http://zentara.net/japh.html

  3. Re: music

    Dave Frost wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Currently ive got a creative aufigy 2 (z something) soundcard, and use
    > the media recorder software bundled with it to record my guitar/keyboard
    > etc. I also have some drum machine software.
    >
    > Im wanting to move over to linux, as the software (mainly) drivers arent
    > that stable and the machine isnt fast enough for win xp.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to some good recording software i could use, and
    > possiblt a drum machine.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Dave

    1) Best to ensure that your Creative Audigy 2 card works on Linux.

    Not so long ago, I failed to make "Creative Audigy 2 Value" (a PCI,
    24bits soundcard) to sing in my Ubuntu 5.04 and Fedora 4 machines. I
    removed the card and now using the mobo-internal ac97 sound chip instead.

    I think that some of the "Creative Audigy 2" models do work with Linux'
    "emu10k1" or "emu10k2" drivers. Anyway,

    CHECK YOUR CARD HERE.
    http://opensource.creative.com/
    espesialmente study the "ALSA sound card matrix".
    -----------------------

    2) Burn a Knoppix LiveCD and test your machine's HW before final
    harddisk installment.

    http://www.knoppix.org

    For DVD download, use BitTorrent only.
    http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
    -----------------------

    3) Last but not least, visit my multimedia link-jungle on
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html#MM

    Burning CD howto
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html

    PS. This may also be of interest