3D animation in the linux world? - Questions

This is a discussion on 3D animation in the linux world? - Questions ; Hi all, Maya seems to be the standard in the Windows/Apple world for doing 3D animation and I don't think there is a Linux version. So what programs are available in the Linux world to do 3D animation? Do they ...

  1. 3D animation in the linux world?

    Hi all,

    Maya seems to be the standard in the Windows/Apple
    world for doing 3D animation and I don't think there is
    a Linux version. So what programs are available in the
    Linux world to do 3D animation? Do they take
    advantage of all the latest hardware such as multithreading,
    multiprocessing and multcore technologies?

    thanks,
    charles.....

  2. Re: 3D animation in the linux world?

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:52:52 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Maya seems to be the standard in the Windows/Apple
    > world for doing 3D animation and I don't think there is
    > a Linux version. So what programs are available in the
    > Linux world to do 3D animation? Do they take
    > advantage of all the latest hardware such as multithreading,
    > multiprocessing and multcore technologies?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    Blender is good, I have seen many good movies and pictures created with it.

  3. Re: 3D animation in the linux world?

    "***** charles" wrote in newsoiqf.37503
    $q%.33960@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Maya seems to be the standard in the Windows/Apple
    > world for doing 3D animation and I don't think there is
    > a Linux version. So what programs are available in the
    > Linux world to do 3D animation? Do they take
    > advantage of all the latest hardware such as multithreading,
    > multiprocessing and multcore technologies?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    compiz is *very* cool 3D graphics for the desktop.

    Google search for compiz.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    theohmster at comcast dot net

  4. Re: 3D animation in the linux world?

    Charles:

    I would not describe anything as a "standard" in the 3D animation realm,
    which is good for alternative platforms, but yeah it would be great to
    have Maya.

    Blender is an open source 3D animation programme available on several
    platforms including Linux. You may wish to take a look.

    Softimage, Maya's main competitor has a Linux version of their packages.

    Considering that Alias only had an Irix version of their stuff for years,
    and the trend to create Linux rendering farms because of the cost savings,
    I would think it would be relatively easy to convinence some of these
    software companies to release Linux versions of their packages. So
    whatever software you use to do 3D work in Lunx, be sure to tell Alias,
    Newtek, etc that you would be a potential user of theirs if they made
    Linux software.

    I am not sure if it is out yet, but Maxon announced Linux support for
    Cinema 4D.

    I just checked the website for Realsoft 3D and they have a Linux version.
    (You should definitly check this one out.)

    The Alias website says "Maya Complete and Maya Unlimited are available
    for Windows® 32-bit and 64-bit, Mac OS® X and Linux® 32-bit and 64-bit
    operating systems." which pleasently surprises me. Their free learning
    edition is not available for Linux yet, not sure if that was what you
    meant.

    Softimage
    http://www.softimage.com

    Blender
    http://www.blender.org

    Cinema 4D
    http://www.maxon.net/

    Realsoft
    http://www.realsoft.fi/

    Alias
    www.autodesk.com/alias

    Also be sure to write Newtek and tell them you want Lightwave on Linux.
    :-) (Newtek http://www.newtek.com)

  5. Re: 3D animation in the linux world?

    Well, Maya is available for Linux, of course (you might have considered
    checking the product page for it). Maya under Linux is what Dreamworks uses
    for it's films (both CG effects and CG animated features). Houdini is a
    more recent commercial package that seems popular. It was used for the
    films "Monster House" and "Superman Returns".

    For us mere mortals that don't want to blow our life savings on Maya or
    Houdini, there's stuff like Blender (which, being free, is considerably
    cheaper).

    ***** charles wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Maya seems to be the standard in the Windows/Apple
    > world for doing 3D animation and I don't think there is
    > a Linux version. So what programs are available in the
    > Linux world to do 3D animation? Do they take
    > advantage of all the latest hardware such as multithreading,
    > multiprocessing and multcore technologies?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

  6. Re: 3D animation in the linux world?

    i've been using maya on linux for years, and it's excellent. yes, it does
    take advantage of multiple processors, multi-core, multi-threading, etc.
    i use it with dual-core athlon X2's and nvidia Quadro cards. the
    latest version (8) is 64bit for both maya and the mentalray renderer.
    linux+maya is a common platform in the industry for renderfarms, so
    there's renderfarm packages out there for you. given how easy it is to
    set up NFS shared file systems, you can also very easily tie together a
    few dozen boxes as a kind of quick renderfarm with a little shell
    scripting.

    blender's a very powerful free/open animation & modeling package. some
    people think it has kind of an obscure interface, but honestly it's no
    more bizarre than maya, lightwave, or softimage.

    --arky

    Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:40:41 +0000, Davros wrote:

    > Charles:
    >
    > I would not describe anything as a "standard" in the 3D animation realm,
    > which is good for alternative platforms, but yeah it would be great to
    > have Maya.
    >
    > Blender is an open source 3D animation programme available on several
    > platforms including Linux. You may wish to take a look.
    >
    > Softimage, Maya's main competitor has a Linux version of their packages.
    >
    > Considering that Alias only had an Irix version of their stuff for years,
    > and the trend to create Linux rendering farms because of the cost savings,
    > I would think it would be relatively easy to convinence some of these
    > software companies to release Linux versions of their packages. So
    > whatever software you use to do 3D work in Lunx, be sure to tell Alias,
    > Newtek, etc that you would be a potential user of theirs if they made
    > Linux software.
    >
    > I am not sure if it is out yet, but Maxon announced Linux support for
    > Cinema 4D.
    >
    > I just checked the website for Realsoft 3D and they have a Linux version.
    > (You should definitly check this one out.)
    >
    > The Alias website says "Maya Complete and Maya Unlimited are available
    > for Windows® 32-bit and 64-bit, Mac OS® X and Linux® 32-bit and 64-bit
    > operating systems." which pleasently surprises me. Their free learning
    > edition is not available for Linux yet, not sure if that was what you
    > meant.
    >
    > Softimage
    > http://www.softimage.com
    >
    > Blender
    > http://www.blender.org
    >
    > Cinema 4D
    > http://www.maxon.net/
    >
    > Realsoft
    > http://www.realsoft.fi/
    >
    > Alias
    > www.autodesk.com/alias
    >

    > Also be sure to write Newtek and tell them you want Lightwave on Linux.
    > :-) (Newtek http://www.newtek.com)

+ Reply to Thread