RHEL4 Update 2 - EVA8000 - Oracle 10g RAC - Questions

This is a discussion on RHEL4 Update 2 - EVA8000 - Oracle 10g RAC - Questions ; Hi Guys, I am tasked to implement the mentioned(in subject) on 5 64bit RHEL4 DL Proliant 385 systems. Being new to linux and the storage, I need detailed advice on how I can do the implmentation for the above. The ...

  1. RHEL4 Update 2 - EVA8000 - Oracle 10g RAC

    Hi Guys,

    I am tasked to implement the mentioned(in subject) on 5 64bit RHEL4 DL
    Proliant 385 systems. Being new to linux and the storage, I need detailed
    advice on how I can do the implmentation for the above. The requirement is
    to have 5 load balanced boxes connected to EVA8000 which have a 5TB of
    storage space for Oracle data files, sql spool files from scheduled jobs,
    archival logs, etc.

    I have a few questions to the implementation/solution:

    1. How can I load balanced the 5 servers? Can Servicegurad do the job?
    How...
    2. What LVM and FS type should I use for the LUN created in the EVA8000 for
    the 10g Oracle RAC? (I need to store both ORADATA files & normal spool
    files)
    3. OCFS V2 does really supports normal file types?
    4. Any procedures or guideline for such implementation?
    5. What are the things to look out for/ needed to be done to configure the
    10g RAC on linux Redhat 4 Update 2

    Really Appreciate any help or advise urgently.

    Best Rgds
    Shin Yuh, Yong

  2. Re: RHEL4 Update 2 - EVA8000 - Oracle 10g RAC

    "Yong Shin Yuh" wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I am tasked to implement the mentioned(in subject) on 5 64bit RHEL4 DL
    > Proliant 385 systems. Being new to linux and the storage, I need detailed
    > advice on how I can do the implmentation for the above. The requirement is
    > to have 5 load balanced boxes connected to EVA8000 which have a 5TB of
    > storage space for Oracle data files, sql spool files from scheduled jobs,
    > archival logs, etc.
    >
    > I have a few questions to the implementation/solution:
    >
    > 1. How can I load balanced the 5 servers? Can Servicegurad do the job?
    > How...
    > 2. What LVM and FS type should I use for the LUN created in the EVA8000
    > for
    > the 10g Oracle RAC? (I need to store both ORADATA files & normal spool
    > files)
    > 3. OCFS V2 does really supports normal file types?
    > 4. Any procedures or guideline for such implementation?
    > 5. What are the things to look out for/ needed to be done to configure the
    > 10g RAC on linux Redhat 4 Update 2

    That's a 2.6.9 kernel, which means it should be capable of comfortably
    supporting an external RAID array. But it's hard for anyone to advise you on
    the specific options for that specific RAID storage system. I don't know of
    any RAID controllers that will deal with over 2 Terabytes in a single RAID
    partition: please let me know if this system does or if you find one that
    does. (There's a 32-bit limit on the current generation of controllers, 2^32
    * 512 byte blocks yields roughly 2 Terabytes.) How much storage are you
    installing? I hope you've left spare space for hotswap drives, RAID5 parity
    drives, and occasional expansion needs.

    Other factors, such as how much data overall you need to see as one file
    system, will determine whether you need to use software RAID on top of that.
    If the 5 TB needs to be one file system, you'll need that. I've had good
    success with Linux's built-in software RAID and ext3, and had serious
    failures with reiserfs when forced to run an fsck after hardware problems
    corrupted the file system. I'd say ext3 is more reliable now. Also, consider
    using LVM or Logical Volume Management if you need to dynamically
    repartition or take snapshots of a Linux file system.

    Where are you? I may know someone competent to suggest, in the Boston area
    or in Germany.

  3. Re: RHEL4 Update 2 - EVA8000 - Oracle 10g RAC

    In comp.os.linux.setup Yong Shin Yuh :

    [ snip multi posted question ]

    Just tried to answer your question in aol.

    Multi-posting is antisocial.

    If you are going to ask the same question in more than one
    newsgroup, crosspost. You conserve resources on NNTP servers, and
    other readers see the follow up answers and do not have to
    provide the same answer.

    It makes it much harder to keep track of a discussion. Also, once
    a reader has "read" a message in one group, they do not have to
    see it again unless someone has provided a follow up.

    To crosspost, just add a comma and the other newsgroup(s). If
    you do cross post, do not get carried away. Pick suitable groups.

    Example: for a scanner
    linux.redhat.install,comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp .periphs.scanners

    See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html for more
    info.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 259: Someone's tie is caught in the printer,
    and if anything else gets printed, he'll be in it too.

+ Reply to Thread