Window Managers and Desktops - Questions

This is a discussion on Window Managers and Desktops - Questions ; I installed Debian Sarge for the first time about a month ago, and have been happily tinkering ever since. I want to play with customizing my "desktop". I may be misguided here, but it seems to me that GNOME and ...

  1. Window Managers and Desktops

    I installed Debian Sarge for the first time about a month ago, and have been
    happily tinkering ever since. I want to play with customizing my
    "desktop". I may be misguided here, but it seems to me that GNOME and KDE
    don't offer a lot of opportunity for customization (?), and that I should
    try using a window manager without a desktop environment, so that I can
    have more "fiddle" room.

    On the other hand, I use a few applications that seem to be built
    specifically for KDE or GNOME. So I guess my questions are:

    1. Will my KDE and GNOME apps work if I run X with a window manager like
    fvwm or Sawfish or something, without a desktop environment? How about
    openoffice?

    2. Can I use other window managers with GNOME (instead of Metacity) or KDE
    (instead of whatever it uses)? Can I switch them easily? Will the result
    be worth working with?

    3. Just what will I lose by working with a straight WM and no desktop
    environment? Can you get all the same functionality by tinkering with WMs,
    or do desktop environments really add functionality?

    Thanks!

    p.s. Oh, I'm not all that comfortable with where to ask questions aobut
    Linux. Can anyone point me to good newsgroups/websites/lists/etc? Thanks
    again!

    Dave

  2. Re: Window Managers and Desktops

    Dave M writes:

    > 1. Will my KDE and GNOME apps work if I run X with a window manager like
    > fvwm or Sawfish or something, without a desktop environment? How about
    > openoffice?

    I've been running fvwm for a long time, probably 10 or more years when Rob
    Nation was still developing it, on HP-UX, on all RedHat through 9, and all
    FedoraCore through 4. OpenOffice works under fvwm, as does most other
    KDE/Gnome apps I (seldom) use. Sometimes those apps need to start all
    kinds of stuff underneath (mostly Corba stuff) to get some of their core
    apps running.

    -- HASM

  3. Re: Window Managers and Desktops

    Dave M wrote:

    > 1. Will my KDE and GNOME apps work if I run X with a window manager like
    > fvwm or Sawfish or something, without a desktop environment? How about
    > openoffice?

    I use IceWM here (without a destop environment). Yes the KDE, Gnome and Open
    Office suite works fine. (The relevant libraries are installed. Debian takes
    care of that.)

    > 2. Can I use other window managers with GNOME (instead of Metacity) or KDE
    > (instead of whatever it uses)? Can I switch them easily? Will the result
    > be worth working with?

    I've not tried this. I presume that this is the same effect as above,
    installing the relevant libraries and applications with the Window Manager.

    > 3. Just what will I lose by working with a straight WM and no desktop
    > environment?

    I don't use a Desktop Environment here, just a Window Mananger.

    > Can you get all the same functionality by tinkering with WMs,
    > or do desktop environments really add functionality?

    You just loose the clutter really. I have no desktop icons for applications
    that I don't use, and I don't have tasks running that I don't want.

    I prefer it this way

    > p.s. Oh, I'm not all that comfortable with where to ask questions aobut
    > Linux.

    Theres a whole load of comp.os.linux and alt.comp.os.linux newsgroups. Have a
    look on google.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --