switch HD - Questions

This is a discussion on switch HD - Questions ; Having crashed once too many times in windows, I will be switching to Linux. My only question concerns the portability of linux. ie. lets say for some reason my linux machine requires another machine can I simply install the HD ...

  1. switch HD

    Having crashed once too many times in windows, I will be switching
    to Linux.
    My only question concerns the portability of linux.
    ie. lets say for some reason my linux machine requires another machine
    can I simply install the HD in another machine with minimal problems,
    or is that fraught w/difficulty or impossible as in windows ???
    Or if I have a backup of my system on a mirrored drive can I
    install it on a fresh machine. What problems are incurred ?
    Thanks from a newbie.

  2. Re: switch HD

    It depends on the kernel and modules.
    If the kernel is built with with support for the hardware in the other
    workstation then it would be an easy drop in.
    When you move the hard drive and the kernel is booted it will have the
    required hardware support and load correctly.

    seeqer wrote:
    > Having crashed once too many times in windows, I will be switching
    > to Linux.
    > My only question concerns the portability of linux.
    > ie. lets say for some reason my linux machine requires another machine
    > can I simply install the HD in another machine with minimal problems,
    > or is that fraught w/difficulty or impossible as in windows ???
    > Or if I have a backup of my system on a mirrored drive can I
    > install it on a fresh machine. What problems are incurred ?
    > Thanks from a newbie.

  3. Re: switch HD

    dxq wrote:

    > It depends on the kernel and modules.
    > When you move the hard drive and the kernel is booted it will have the
    > required hardware support and load correctly.

    Linux usually ships with all the modules. I use removable hard drives here,
    and I have often swapped them from one machine to another without difficulty.

    You may need to reconfigure X though, if you have more than one type of video
    card, or your monitors on the different machines use different resolutions.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley