psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work? - Questions

This is a discussion on psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work? - Questions ; Hi, Been on 2.4 a long time, upgrading to 2.6.14. Everything works now but the PS/2 style mouse, plugged into the socket similar to and just above the keyboard socket. I have the mouse configured as a PS/2 mouse and ...

  1. psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    Hi,
    Been on 2.4 a long time, upgrading to 2.6.14. Everything works now but the
    PS/2 style mouse, plugged into the socket similar to and just above the
    keyboard socket.

    I have the mouse configured as a PS/2 mouse and
    CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
    CONFIG-INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y

    gpm reports no errors to stderr or the syslog and mev reports no events as I
    tap the buttons and slide the mouse.

    gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux

    The mouse works fine under the 2.4 kernels and windoze xppro.

    Thanks in advance for all assistance,
    Fred

  2. Re: psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:13:36 -0500, Fred staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > Been on 2.4 a long time, upgrading to 2.6.14.

    It's about time, eh?

    > Everything works now but the PS/2 style mouse. I have
    > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
    > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y

    OK, PS/2 mouse built-in. What protocol does this mouse speak? Most
    mice with wheels speak imps or exps. Only in rare cases (really old
    hardware, or some IBM Thinkpads) will you use the bare PS/2 protocol.
    You typically feed a kernel command-line option like so:

    kernel /boot/2.6.14 root=/dev/hda6 psmouse.proto=exps

    ....adjust for LILO; that's part of a GRUB stanza.

    > gpm reports no errors to stderr or the syslog
    > gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux
    > The mouse works fine under the 2.4 kernels and windoze xppro.

    Your mouse is probably not using the PS/2 protocol. Adjust the kernel
    command line for IMPS/2 or EXPS/2, depending on whether your mouse has
    more than 5 buttons or not. This change to mouse handling is only one
    of many little differences between 2.4 and 2.6, so make sure you've read
    the Changes file in /usr/src/linux/ and Googled for "2.4 to 2.6 upgrade"
    so you know what else might go wrong.

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    Hey,
    The mouse is a 4-button Logitech MouseMan connected to the mouse port on the
    motherboard through a Belkin KVM switch.

    I added 'append="psmouse.proto=bare"' to the line in my lilo.conf pointing
    to the bzImage file containing the kernel image. No Changes file in
    /usr/src/linux/devices/input, no reference to changes in mice configuration.
    I did google 2.4 to 2.6 upgrade, learned a bit, but not much help in getting
    the mouse working.

    Thanks in advance for all help.

    Fred

    "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    news:slrndmc92f.4pe.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org...
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:13:36 -0500, Fred staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    > > Been on 2.4 a long time, upgrading to 2.6.14.

    > It's about time, eh?
    >
    > > Everything works now but the PS/2 style mouse. I have
    > > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
    > > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y

    > OK, PS/2 mouse built-in. What protocol does this mouse speak? Most
    > mice with wheels speak imps or exps. Only in rare cases (really old
    > hardware, or some IBM Thinkpads) will you use the bare PS/2 protocol.
    > You typically feed a kernel command-line option like so:
    >
    > kernel /boot/2.6.14 root=/dev/hda6 psmouse.proto=exps
    >
    > ...adjust for LILO; that's part of a GRUB stanza.
    >
    > > gpm reports no errors to stderr or the syslog
    > > gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux
    > > The mouse works fine under the 2.4 kernels and windoze xppro.

    > Your mouse is probably not using the PS/2 protocol. Adjust the kernel
    > command line for IMPS/2 or EXPS/2, depending on whether your mouse has
    > more than 5 buttons or not. This change to mouse handling is only one
    > of many little differences between 2.4 and 2.6, so make sure you've read
    > the Changes file in /usr/src/linux/ and Googled for "2.4 to 2.6 upgrade"
    > so you know what else might go wrong.
    >
    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to

    see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    > http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    > -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  4. Re: psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:18:05 -0500, Fred staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:

    Please don't top-post, and *trim* your posts. Message rearranged and
    trimmed for easier reading comprehension:

    > "Dances With Crows" wrote
    >> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:13:36 -0500, Fred staggered into the Black Sun
    >> and said:
    >> > Everything works now but the PS/2 style mouse. I have
    >> > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
    >> > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y

    >> OK, PS/2 mouse built-in. What protocol does this mouse speak? Most
    >> mice with wheels speak imps or exps. Only in rare cases (really old
    >> hardware, or some IBM Thinkpads) will you use the bare PS/2 protocol.

    > I added 'append="psmouse.proto=bare"' to the line in my lilo.conf
    > pointing to the bzImage file containing the kernel image.

    "Only in rare cases" means "you probably don't want to do this". Did
    you make sure to rerun LILO after changing /etc/lilo.conf ? (Remember
    that you don't have to do that with GRUB.)

    > no reference to changes in mice configuration.

    ....other than the 2.4->2.6 upgrade info says "put the right thing in for
    psmouse.proto=". That parameter is listed in
    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt as well.

    >> > The mouse works fine under the 2.4 kernels and windoze xppro.

    >> kernel /boot/2.6.14 root=/dev/hda6 psmouse.proto=exps

    >> Your mouse is probably not using the PS/2 protocol. Adjust the
    >> kernel command line for IMPS/2 or EXPS/2, depending on whether your
    >> mouse has more than 5 buttons or not. This change to mouse handling
    >> is only one of many little differences between 2.4 and 2.6, so make

    > The mouse is a 4-button Logitech MouseMan connected to the mouse port
    > on the motherboard through a Belkin KVM switch.

    4 buttons? Weird. Usually, it breaks down like so:

    1 button (Apple only, obsolete, useless)
    2 buttons (obsolete)
    3 buttons (usable, but obsolete--found on older Thinkpads, etc.)
    5 buttons (standard 2 buttons + wheel)
    6+buttons (2 buttons + wheel + other buttons, usually exps protocol)

    ....so are you sure you should be using "bare"? imps is a de facto
    standard, and more and more mice are supporting exps, because more and
    more mice have more buttons than the typical 5 these days. (Eventually,
    there will be a mouse with a miniature QWERTY keyboard on it, to satisfy
    the 31337 g4m3rz.) What's your xorg.conf use as its protocol? I'm
    betting it's IMPS/2 or EXPS/2, and you should switch the kernel command
    line parameter to match.

    KVMs sometimes screw things up. Look in the kernel-parameters.txt file
    for additional things you can feed the kernel, like the
    psmouse.resetafter= thing.

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  5. Re: psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    Hi Dances With Crows,

    "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    news:slrndmka9o.j8o.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org...
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    > On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:18:05 -0500, Fred staggered into the Black Sun and
    > said:
    >
    > Please don't top-post, and *trim* your posts. Message rearranged and
    > trimmed for easier reading comprehension:

    I hope I am not top-posting, been a good number of years since using
    netnews.

    > > "Dances With Crows" wrote
    > >> OK, PS/2 mouse built-in. What protocol does this mouse speak? Most
    > >> mice with wheels speak imps or exps. Only in rare cases (really old
    > >> hardware, or some IBM Thinkpads) will you use the bare PS/2 protocol.

    > > I added 'append="psmouse.proto=bare"' to the line in my lilo.conf
    > > pointing to the bzImage file containing the kernel image.

    > "Only in rare cases" means "you probably don't want to do this". Did
    > you make sure to rerun LILO after changing /etc/lilo.conf ? (Remember
    > that you don't have to do that with GRUB.)

    Yes, I did run lilo after adding parameters to the kernel, been a linux user
    since 1.2.8 early 90's.
    Also, I made it a module, and loaded the module with various combinations of
    parameters. The kernel reports, after adaptec scsi controllers are loaded
    "mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice." This is before I load the
    psmouse.ko module. I load the module with

    modprobe psmouse proto=ImPS/2

    a tail on /var/log/messages shows
    [date/time/hostname snipped] kernel: input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on
    isa0060/serio1

    and
    gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux
    reports no errors (and mouse is non-functioning). 'mev' reports no events
    when started.

    > > no reference to changes in mice configuration.

    > ...other than the 2.4->2.6 upgrade info says "put the right thing in for
    > psmouse.proto=". That parameter is listed in
    > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt as well.

    > >> kernel /boot/2.6.14 root=/dev/hda6 psmouse.proto=exps

    > >> Your mouse is probably not using the PS/2 protocol. Adjust the
    > >> kernel command line for IMPS/2 or EXPS/2, depending on whether your
    > >> mouse has more than 5 buttons or not

    > 4 buttons? Weird. Usually, it breaks down like so [snipped]

    Ergonomic (fits in palm), roller ball on bottom, 3 buttons for index,
    middle, ring fingers, one button for thumb (I think mirrors middle button).

    > ...so are you sure you should be using "bare"? imps is a de facto
    > standard, and more and more mice are supporting exps, because more and
    > more mice have more buttons than the typical 5 these days. (Eventually,
    > there will be a mouse with a miniature QWERTY keyboard on it, to satisfy
    > the 31337 g4m3rz.) What's your xorg.conf use as its protocol? I'm
    > betting it's IMPS/2 or EXPS/2, and you should switch the kernel command
    > line parameter to match.

    Not familiar with xorg.conf. xwindows (xfree86) does come up, mouse doesn't
    work there either.

    > KVMs sometimes screw things up. Look in the kernel-parameters.txt file
    > for additional things you can feed the kernel, like the
    > psmouse.resetafter= thing.

    I tried the mouse plugged into the computer, bypassing the KVM switch
    (remove an unknown), no effect. Tried '1' on the resetafter parameter with
    KVM in the loop, no effect.

    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to

    see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    > http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    > -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  6. Re: psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 07:03:58 -0500, Fred staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > "Dances With Crows" wrote
    > I hope I am not top-posting,

    Nope, interleaved posting as you did is the generally accepted way to do
    things.

    >> > I added 'append="psmouse.proto=bare"' to the line in my lilo.conf

    > Yes, I did run lilo after adding parameters to the kernel, been a
    > linux user since 1.2.8 early 90's. Also, I made it a module, and
    > loaded the module with various combinations of parameters.

    Nuts. This is weird. OK, ISTR that there were problems with some
    distro-patched kernels and some mice, particularly if there was a KVM
    involved.

    > modprobe psmouse proto=ImPS/2

    ? In the kernel source for vanilla 2.6.10, that would result in a
    "psmouse: unknown protocol type" error. Acceptable values for proto=
    are bare, imps, and exps.

    > kernel: input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
    > gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux reports no errors (and mouse is
    > non-functioning).

    Why are you using -t ps/2 for gpm? The mouse reports itself as an
    IMPS/2 mouse, so you should be using -t imps/2 . Anyway, running gpm
    can interfere with the mouse working properly in X (unless you set X up
    to use gpm's repeater device), so don't use gpm unless you really need
    it for some reason.

    >> 4 buttons? Weird. Usually, it breaks down like so [snipped]

    > Ergonomic (fits in palm), roller ball on bottom, 3 buttons for index,
    > middle, ring fingers, one button for thumb

    No wheel? Weird.

    >> What's your xorg.conf use as its protocol? I'm betting it's IMPS/2
    >> or EXPS/2, and you should switch the kernel command line parameter to

    > Not familiar with xorg.conf. xwindows (xfree86) does come up, mouse
    > doesn't work there either.

    Try not running gpm. xorg.conf's format is currently exactly the same
    as XF86Config's, but that may change in the future.

    > I tried the mouse plugged into the computer, bypassing the KVM switch
    > (remove an unknown), no effect. Tried '1' on the resetafter parameter
    > with KVM in the loop, no effect.

    If the gpm thing fails, I'd suggest getting the latest stable
    non-distro-patched 2.6 kernel and compiling it. Distro-patched kernels
    tend to have strange bugs in them which aren't present in the vanilla
    releases IME.

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  7. Re: psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    > Nuts. This is weird. OK, ISTR that there were problems with some
    > distro-patched kernels and some mice, particularly if there was a KVM
    > involved.

    This is not a patched kernel.

    > > modprobe psmouse proto=ImPS/2

    > ? In the kernel source for vanilla 2.6.10, that would result in a
    > "psmouse: unknown protocol type" error. Acceptable values for proto=
    > are bare, imps, and exps.

    my typo, was imps.

    > > kernel: input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
    > > gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux reports no errors (and mouse is
    > > non-functioning).

    > Why are you using -t ps/2 for gpm? The mouse reports itself as an

    3> IMPS/2 mouse, so you should be using -t imps/2 . Anyway, running gpm
    > can interfere with the mouse working properly in X (unless you set X up
    > to use gpm's repeater device), so don't use gpm unless you really need
    > it for some reason.

    Again, a typo (my bad). The arguments to gpm are "-t imps2 -m /dev/psaux"

    > >> What's your xorg.conf use as its protocol? I'm betting it's IMPS/2
    > >> or EXPS/2, and you should switch the kernel command line parameter to

    > > Not familiar with xorg.conf. xwindows (xfree86) does come up, mouse
    > > doesn't work there either.

    > Try not running gpm. xorg.conf's format is currently exactly the same
    > as XF86Config's, but that may change in the future.

    X runs fine. With or without gpm, X comes up fine, but cursor is stationary
    as I move mouse.
    I'm running Xfree86 4.2.1 using gnome as the window manager.
    All of this works fine under 2.4.20.

    I really appreciate all help. Fred

  8. Re: psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:41:23 -0500, Fred staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> Nuts. This is weird. OK, ISTR that there were problems with some
    >> distro-patched kernels and some mice, particularly if there was a KVM

    > This is not a patched kernel.

    OK, just making sure.

    >> > modprobe psmouse proto=ImPS/2

    >> ? that would result in a "psmouse: unknown protocol type" error.

    > my typo, was imps.
    >
    >> > gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux reports no errors (and mouse is

    >> IMPS/2 mouse, so you should be using -t imps/2 .

    > Again, a typo (my bad). The arguments to gpm are "-t imps2 -m /dev/psaux"

    Right... maybe check your config files for typos? :-)

    > X runs fine. With or without gpm, X comes up fine, but cursor is
    > stationary as I move mouse. I'm running Xfree86 4.2.1

    OK, that X is ancient. You should be running at least 4.3.0 (which is
    itself obsolete), if only for the useful RANDR extension.

    > All of this works fine under 2.4.20.

    I'm officially out of ideas. The next thing that I'd do would be to
    sprinkle printk()s within drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.c to see
    what's really going on in the 2.6 kernel, and put the same printk()s in
    the roughly equivalent spots in the 2.4 kernel. This is *not* normal,
    I've never seen it happen, and I don't have any idea what's causing it.

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  9. Re: psaux port and 2.6 kernels - Mouse doesn't work?

    Thanks Dances with Wolves,
    It works!

    I can't explain it. GPM was in the background, and I loaded the module with
    proto=bare,
    and the mouse cursor appeared in the middle of the screen. I did notice
    after loading the
    module that the device did appear in the /proc/bus/input/devices file.

    proto=imps worked too, but when I used the KVM switch (just for a test, read
    the bug reports) and switched back to 2.6.14, the mouse cursor was flying
    all over the screen. proto=bare does not have this behavior.

    Again,
    Thanks for you help.

    Fred

+ Reply to Thread