This post was previously posted to alt.os.linux, but it received no
replies, so now i'm trying a few other newsgroups. Info :

Crossposted to : alt.comp.linux, alt.comp.os.linux, alt.linux,
comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.questions

Folllow-up to : alt.comp.linux

Yesterday i installed Ubuntu 5.10 on a system that already had a
windows NTFS and a mandrake partition. At the time, the partitions
looked like this :

hda contained the windows NTFS partition on hda1

hdb contained the mandrake partitions, although i cannot remember
which partition it had (/, /boot and swap i assume)

I asked Ubuntu to install itself on hdb, overwriting the mandrake
installation, but i must at some point in the installation (due to
errors which i unfortunately cannot remember) done something wrong,
since it turned my windows partition into an LVM partition.

Now, the partition apparently still exists, since i added the windows
entry to grub's menu.lst and it can boot. however, it appears to be on
another partition than before, according to windows, so windows BSOD's
during startup.

A "fdisk -l /dev/hda" shows this :

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80054059008 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9732 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 31 248976 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 32 9732 77923282+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5 32 9732 77923251 8e Linux LVM

a "pvdisplay" shows this :

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/hda5
VG Name Ubuntu
PV Size 74,31 GB / not usable 0
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size (KByte) 4096
Total PE 19024
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 19024
PV UUID 70cSTT-kITw-dtKA-xl1E-Ug5L-LdhT-Bp93Lx

and a "lvdisplay" shows this :

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/Ubuntu/windows
VG Name Ubuntu
LV UUID tfEehc-gh8D-YZ76-CnUb-9jrB-YxNU-XEUS7I
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 0
LV Size 74,31 GB
Current LE 19024
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0
Block device 253:0

I've tried doing "mount /dev/Ubuntu/windows /media/windows/ -t ntfs"
but that returns :

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/Ubuntu/windows,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

and "dmesg | tail" returns :

[4296266.584000] NTFS-fs error (device dm-0): read_ntfs_boot_sector():
Primary boot sector is invalid.
[4296266.584000] NTFS-fs error (device dm-0): read_ntfs_boot_sector():
Mount option errors=recover not used. Aborting without trying to
recover.
[4296266.584000] NTFS-fs error (device dm-0): ntfs_fill_super(): Not
an NTFS volume.

So, to sum it up, can i access my windows partition or is it broke? i
just need access to the files.
Alternatively, can i 'turn off' LVM on the partition, and turn it back
into a normal NTFS partition?

Also, please reply if you need any more info on the setup.

Allan K