Which DVDs are supported by Linux? - Questions

This is a discussion on Which DVDs are supported by Linux? - Questions ; I want to buy a DVD +/-RW drive, and I need to find out which ones are supported. Therefore, I'm looking for resources to find out about driver support in the kernel. I am currently using Ubuntu "Hoary Hedgehog: release ...

  1. Which DVDs are supported by Linux?

    I want to buy a DVD +/-RW drive, and I need to find out which ones are
    supported. Therefore, I'm looking for resources to find out about driver
    support in the kernel.

    I am currently using Ubuntu "Hoary Hedgehog: release w/ kernel version
    2.6.10, BTW.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Which DVDs are supported by Linux?

    Clarification:
    I'm not asking whoch ones are supported - I'm asking where to get info
    like this. I don't expect anyone to do my homework for me...

    Thanks!

  3. Re: Which DVDs are supported by Linux?

    linux sucks!

  4. Re: Which DVDs are supported by Linux?

    Not as well as you do!

    femke wrote:
    > linux sucks!

  5. Re: Which DVDs are supported by Linux?

    Sean:
    I have an LG-4163B
    There is a newer model (just a bit faster): LG GSA-4167B

    I have been extremely pleased with the 4163B:
    I use DVD-RAM which its support too, with Fedora4 and SUSE 10.0
    Never a hitch, very reliable, fast stable.

    There is no need to use a special kernel: the drive is detected... and works
    just out of the box with kernel 2.6.x based Linuxes.

    Just a little thing:
    I have DVD+R X 16 RIDATA media, they work perfectly (at full speed) with
    the same system on Windows Xp SP2, but on FC4 they write slow.
    This is obviously a software issue.
    It may have been fixed (did not try on SUSE 10.0 since I upgraded).

    DVDX16 is nice: write 4.7 GB in about 5 mn, verify is about just as long.

    AFC4
    =========
    Sean P McNamee wrote:

    > I want to buy a DVD +/-RW drive, and I need to find out which ones are
    > supported. Therefore, I'm looking for resources to find out about driver
    > support in the kernel.
    >
    > I am currently using Ubuntu "Hoary Hedgehog: release w/ kernel version
    > 2.6.10, BTW.
    >
    > Thanks!

  6. Re: Which DVDs are supported by Linux?

    ATAPI(IDE), SCSI, USB, and FIREWIRE models are supported (all of them).

    Sean P McNamee wrote:

    > I want to buy a DVD +/-RW drive, and I need to find out which ones are
    > supported. Therefore, I'm looking for resources to find out about driver
    > support in the kernel.
    >
    > I am currently using Ubuntu "Hoary Hedgehog: release w/ kernel version
    > 2.6.10, BTW.
    >
    > Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread