how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC - Questions

This is a discussion on how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC - Questions ; Hello I have recently installed Ubuntu Linux to a 300Gb HD. I have formatted the entire HD for Linux. I also have an old 15 GB HD with Windows XP on it. I need to transfer all my files (mainly ...

  1. how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    Hello

    I have recently installed Ubuntu Linux to a 300Gb HD. I have formatted the
    entire HD for Linux. I also have an old 15 GB HD with Windows XP on it. I
    need to transfer all my files (mainly mp3, and Word Docs) over to the linux
    HD all connected in the same machine.

    The problem is that I have the Windows HD and the Linux HD physically in the
    same PC. Is this possible to transfer files from the Windows HD to the Linux
    HD?

    I know how to do this using Samba if the HD's were in separate machines.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    -Owen

  2. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    Owen K. wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have recently installed Ubuntu Linux to a 300Gb HD. I have formatted the
    > entire HD for Linux. I also have an old 15 GB HD with Windows XP on it. I
    > need to transfer all my files (mainly mp3, and Word Docs) over to the
    > linux HD all connected in the same machine.
    >
    > The problem is that I have the Windows HD and the Linux HD physically in
    > the same PC. Is this possible to transfer files from the Windows HD to the
    > Linux HD?

    If Ubuntu hasn't already mounted your Windows hard disk, just do this:

    mkdir /mnt/windows
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

    (NOTE: replace /dev/hda1 with whatever partition has windows /dev/hda is the
    first hard disk in the machine, '1' is the partition number).

    After that, all your Windows files will appear under /mnt/windows and then
    you can copy them like you would from any other directory.

    --
    Remove '.nospam' from e-mail address to reply by e-mail

  3. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:31:50 -0400, Owen K. wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have recently installed Ubuntu Linux to a 300Gb HD. I have formatted the
    > entire HD for Linux. I also have an old 15 GB HD with Windows XP on it. I
    > need to transfer all my files (mainly mp3, and Word Docs) over to the linux
    > HD all connected in the same machine.
    >
    > The problem is that I have the Windows HD and the Linux HD physically in the
    > same PC. Is this possible to transfer files from the Windows HD to the Linux
    > HD?
    >
    > I know how to do this using Samba if the HD's were in separate machines.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > -Owen

    I used this script here:
    http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/files/winmac_fstab

    It will mount your windows drives as read-only every time you boot.
    If you have KDE installed (easy to get with Synaptic Package Manager) you
    can use Konqueror to easily copy files from your Windows partition to your
    Linux partition.

  4. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:39:27 -0400, wd10 wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:31:50 -0400, Owen K. wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have recently installed Ubuntu Linux to a 300Gb HD. I have formatted the
    >> entire HD for Linux. I also have an old 15 GB HD with Windows XP on it. I
    >> need to transfer all my files (mainly mp3, and Word Docs) over to the linux
    >> HD all connected in the same machine.
    >>
    >> The problem is that I have the Windows HD and the Linux HD physically in the
    >> same PC. Is this possible to transfer files from the Windows HD to the Linux
    >> HD?
    >>
    >> I know how to do this using Samba if the HD's were in separate machines.
    >>
    >> Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> -Owen

    > I used this script here:
    > http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/files/winmac_fstab
    >
    > It will mount your windows drives as read-only every time you boot.
    > If you have KDE installed (easy to get with Synaptic Package Manager) you
    > can use Konqueror to easily copy files from your Windows partition to your
    > Linux partition.

    I just read your post again -- I didn't see that you had separate drives.
    I'm not sure if that script will work with separate drives. I think it is
    made for separate partitions.

  5. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in thesame PC

    "Owen K." writes:

    > The problem is that I have the Windows HD and the Linux HD physically in the
    > same PC. Is this possible to transfer files from the Windows HD to the Linux
    > HD?

    Just mount the Windows drive onto your system and copy the files over. If
    not NTFS file system support is built-in, with read/write capability. If
    NTFS you may need to go grab the ntfs kernel module (though Unbutu may have
    it installed by default) and read capability is trivial (writing to NTFS is
    another story.)

    Thus just try, as super-user:
    mount -t auto /dev/whatever /mount/point
    and it may work.

    -- HASM

  6. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:56:47 -0400 in alt.linux, James McIninch
    favored us with...

    > If Ubuntu hasn't already mounted your Windows hard disk, just do this:
    >
    > mkdir /mnt/windows
    > mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    >
    > (NOTE: replace /dev/hda1 with whatever partition has windows /dev/hda is the
    > first hard disk in the machine, '1' is the partition number).

    Just an FYI: the Windows partition may or may not be NTFS. Some
    manufacturers install XP on plain old FAT32 partitions.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Modern cyberspace is a deadly festering swamp, teeming with
    dangerous programs such as "viruses," "worms," "Trojan horses,"
    and "licensed Microsoft software" that can take over your
    computer and render it useless. --Dave Barry

  7. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:56:38 -0400, wd10 wrote:

    > I just read your post again -- I didn't see that you had separate drives.
    > I'm not sure if that script will work with separate drives. I think it is
    > made for separate partitions.

    linux doesn't distinguish too much between separate drives and separate
    partitions. if the script works for separate partitions, it will probably
    work for separate drives.

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  8. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:48:48 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

    > Just an FYI: the Windows partition may or may not be NTFS. Some
    > manufacturers install XP on plain old FAT32 partitions.

    Use fdisk to find out:

    fdisk -l

    example listing:

    Disk /dev/hda: 82.3 GB, 82348277760 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10011 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 2040 16386268+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 2041 2958 7373835 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda3 2959 10011 56653222+ 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 2959 3098 1124518+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda6 3099 10011 55528641 83 Linux

    Disk /dev/sda: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19929 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 19929 160079661 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

    See how I have an NTFS disk in there? (/dev/hda2) And another disk that
    is FAT32 -- /dev/sda1 (a USB external disk).
    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  9. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    Thanks for everyone's help....

    My Windows drive is NTFS, so by doing:

    mkdir /mnt/windows
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

    worked great.

    -Owen

    "HASM" wrote in message
    > "Owen K." writes:
    >
    >> The problem is that I have the Windows HD and the Linux HD physically in
    >> the
    >> same PC. Is this possible to transfer files from the Windows HD to the
    >> Linux
    >> HD?

    > Just mount the Windows drive onto your system and copy the files over. If
    > not NTFS file system support is built-in, with read/write capability. If
    > NTFS you may need to go grab the ntfs kernel module (though Unbutu may
    > have
    > it installed by default) and read capability is trivial (writing to NTFS
    > is
    > another story.)
    >
    > Thus just try, as super-user:
    > mount -t auto /dev/whatever /mount/point
    > and it may work.
    >
    > -- HASM

  10. Re: how to transfer files from a Windows HD to a Linux HD in the same PC

    I know, you solved your problem of getting the data off of the drive and
    onto linux....but,
    if you were to put a FAT32 partition on that 15GB Windows Drive, you could
    write to it (that is if you were still running windows off of it)...or
    you could make it an EXT2 (native linux) or EXT3 (Jounalized Partition)
    You could then mount it in the same exact fasion as you already have
    tried...and could use AUTO in place of ntfs for automatic acknowledgement
    of the partion as HASM stated earlier.

    Owen K. wrote:

    > Thanks for everyone's help....
    >
    > My Windows drive is NTFS, so by doing: