question about ksh startup undef Fedora Core - Questions

This is a discussion on question about ksh startup undef Fedora Core - Questions ; I am running a Fedora Core system. I created a "regular system user" for myself and specified the Korn Shell (ksh) as the shell for the user. When I start a Konsole session from the commands menu of KDE the ...

  1. question about ksh startup undef Fedora Core

    I am running a Fedora Core system.

    I created a "regular system user" for myself and specified the Korn
    Shell (ksh) as the shell for the user. When I start a Konsole session
    from the commands menu of KDE the .profile is not processed. I can
    execute the .profile manually.

    The .profile file is both readable and executable.

    Any ideas on why the .profile is not being executed ?

  2. Re: question about ksh startup undef Fedora Core

    surfer dude writes:

    > I created a "regular system user" for myself and specified the Korn
    > Shell (ksh) as the shell for the user. When I start a Konsole session
    > from the commands menu of KDE the .profile is not processed. I can
    > execute the .profile manually.

    Read man ksh. Scroll down to the Invocation section. I'd say KDE is not
    invoking ksh as an interactive shell.

    -- HASM

  3. Re: question about ksh startup undef Fedora Core

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.questions, in article
    , surfer dude wrote:

    >I created a "regular system user" for myself and specified the Korn
    >Shell (ksh) as the shell for the user. When I start a Konsole session
    >from the commands menu of KDE the .profile is not processed.

    Run a 'ps -w' command from the 'Konsole' - are you actually running the
    Korn shell, or is it actually running Bash? Bash will run a .profile
    if one exists, but only if .bash_profile and .bash_login do not exist
    in the user's home directory.

    Many users today have their system configured to boot into a GUI login,
    and that may be screwing things up. Can you boot to the command line
    (edit /etc/inittab, and set the 'si' line to 3, not 5 - though I'm sure
    there is some GUI setup that does the same trick), then start X from the
    command line (runx or startx should do it).

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread