Cross platform GUI framework - Questions

This is a discussion on Cross platform GUI framework - Questions ; I'm looking for a Graphical User Interface (GUI) framework portable between QNX, Windows and Linux. GUI should support forms, windows, panels, edit fields, buttons, scroolbars, radio boxes, labels, memo fields, and OpenGL drawing on panels etc. Do you know any ...

  1. Cross platform GUI framework

    I'm looking for a Graphical User Interface (GUI) framework portable between
    QNX, Windows and Linux.
    GUI should support forms, windows, panels, edit fields, buttons, scroolbars,
    radio boxes, labels, memo fields, and OpenGL drawing on panels etc.
    Do you know any cross platform GUI framework?

    Gustav

  2. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    [Please don't cross-post so much. My newsreader forced me to remove some
    groups.]

    Gustav Rosev wrote:

    > I'm looking for a Graphical User Interface (GUI) framework portable
    > between QNX, Windows and Linux.
    > GUI should support forms, windows, panels, edit fields, buttons,
    > scroolbars, radio boxes, labels, memo fields, and OpenGL drawing on panels
    > etc.
    > Do you know any cross platform GUI framework?

    Qt - by TrollTech
    pristine object model, MOC compiler to add
    2 dynamic keywords for a typeless Observer
    Pattern, owned-source, many ports

    wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows2)
    very good object model, no new keywords,
    many ports, matches MS Win32 very well,
    true open source

    Tk (of TCL/Tk)
    the _original_ Visual Basic, distinguished
    legacy, true open source, many ports, funky
    object model, I don't know if C++ is represented

    The runners up are FOX, FLTK, HTML, Mono, etc.

    --
    Phlip

  3. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    "Phlip" writes:

    > [Please don't cross-post so much. My newsreader forced me to remove some
    > groups.]
    >
    > Gustav Rosev wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a Graphical User Interface (GUI) framework portable
    > > between QNX, Windows and Linux.
    > > GUI should support forms, windows, panels, edit fields, buttons,
    > > scroolbars, radio boxes, labels, memo fields, and OpenGL drawing on panels
    > > etc.
    > > Do you know any cross platform GUI framework?

    > Qt - by TrollTech
    > pristine object model, MOC compiler to add
    > 2 dynamic keywords for a typeless Observer
    > Pattern, owned-source, many ports
    >
    > wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows2)
    > very good object model, no new keywords,
    > many ports, matches MS Win32 very well,
    > true open source
    >
    > Tk (of TCL/Tk)
    > the _original_ Visual Basic, distinguished
    > legacy, true open source, many ports, funky
    > object model, I don't know if C++ is represented

    And GTK+.

    --
    Sergei.

  4. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    Gustav Rosev wrote:
    > I'm looking for a Graphical User Interface (GUI) framework portable between
    > QNX, Windows and Linux.
    > GUI should support forms, windows, panels, edit fields, buttons, scroolbars,
    > radio boxes, labels, memo fields, and OpenGL drawing on panels etc.
    > Do you know any cross platform GUI framework?
    >
    > Gustav

    OpenGL is cross-platform... I also think that GTK is available on QNX
    (in Linux and windows it is)...

    However, consider the possibility of using Java SWING and Java3D for 3d
    graphics.

    --
    one's freedom stops where others' begin

    Giannis Papadopoulos
    http://dop.users.uth.gr/
    University of Thessaly
    Computer & Communications Engineering dept.

  5. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    Gustav Rosev wrote:

    > I'm looking for a Graphical User Interface (GUI) framework portable
    > between QNX, Windows and Linux.
    > GUI should support forms, windows, panels, edit fields, buttons,
    > scroolbars, radio boxes, labels, memo fields, and OpenGL drawing on panels
    > etc. Do you know any cross platform GUI framework?
    >
    > Gustav

    Dunno if QNX is supported, but FLTK (http://www.fltk.org) is great. It
    doesn't have any bloat...it produces very small binaries.

    You may want to take a look at it.

    Alvin

  6. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    Gustav Rosev wrote:

    > Do you know any cross platform GUI framework?

    http://www.wxwidgets.org looks nice.

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author of: Zeus for Windows Editor (New version 3.95 out now)
    "The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl folding editor"
    Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

  7. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    I have used Tilcon for many years, it is very independant, go with that.

    /Jörgen

  8. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    Gustav:
    there are several:
    1) VwWidgets
    2) Qt
    3) FoxGUI
    4) Kylix (A Delphi derivative).

    The best one, really depends of your goals & needs.
    AFC4

    Jussi Jumppanen wrote:

    > Gustav Rosev wrote:
    >
    >> Do you know any cross platform GUI framework?

    > http://www.wxwidgets.org looks nice.
    >
    > Jussi Jumppanen
    > Author of: Zeus for Windows Editor (New version 3.95 out now)
    > "The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl folding editor"
    > Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

  9. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    Phlip wrote:

    > Tk (of TCL/Tk)

    That's the route that I have chosen for developing Windows Applications. It is
    interpreted and therefore no Windows compiler is needed. You do need to
    install the Tcl/Tk environment though.

    For the GUI stuff, this is great ...

    For backend stuff (Tcl) which handles things like command line parsing,
    environment processing and config reading, theres a bit of "if windows do this
    otherwise do that" type of coding, and maybe something like this for font
    selection, but Tk is extremely good and it produces the same results on Linux
    and Windows.

    The benefit of this is that you can develop on Linux and ship your
    applications.

    I don't have a Windows box to compile on here, so any cross platform solution
    that I have must allow the Windows application to be built on Linux.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  10. Re: Cross platform GUI framework

    markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

    >> Tk (of TCL/Tk)

    > That's the route that I have chosen for developing Windows
    > Applications. It is interpreted and therefore no Windows compiler is
    > needed. You do need to install the Tcl/Tk environment though.

    And on top of that itcl/itk/iwidgets.

    -- HASM

+ Reply to Thread