Slackware jdk packages - Questions

This is a discussion on Slackware jdk packages - Questions ; I'm a new user to Slackware (Slax) but not Linux. I currently run Debian. I am however new to Slackware's packaging system. Basically, I'm looking for a good resource on how to build my own Slackware packages. For me to ...

  1. Slackware jdk packages

    I'm a new user to Slackware (Slax) but not Linux. I currently run
    Debian. I am however new to Slackware's packaging system. Basically,
    I'm looking for a good resource on how to build my own Slackware
    packages. For me to do useful things on a key drive I need to create
    a JDK package and a NetBeans package. From what I can gather, the
    packages are some sort of compressed file, that stays compressed on the
    system until needed?
    I *think* that if I can wrestle these into slackware packages, then I
    can modify them to fit on my Slax liveCD (USB). I've checked Slax's
    forums. There's a mention that someone's done it for JDK 1.5 (but no
    mention how) and I'd like to know how so I can build packages for the
    JDK 1.6 mustang releases.
    Hopefully, I can build Slackware packages using a Debian system
    Thanks for any help.
    -Bryan

  2. Re: Slackware jdk packages

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:31:41 -0400, Bryan E. Boone
    wrote:

    > I'm a new user to Slackware (Slax) but not Linux. I currently run
    > Debian. I am however new to Slackware's packaging system. Basically,
    > I'm looking for a good resource on how to build my own Slackware
    > packages. For me to do useful things on a key drive I need to create
    > a JDK package and a NetBeans package. From what I can gather, the
    > packages are some sort of compressed file, that stays compressed on the
    > system until needed?
    > I *think* that if I can wrestle these into slackware packages, then I
    > can modify them to fit on my Slax liveCD (USB). I've checked Slax's
    > forums. There's a mention that someone's done it for JDK 1.5 (but no
    > mention how) and I'd like to know how so I can build packages for the
    > JDK 1.6 mustang releases.
    > Hopefully, I can build Slackware packages using a Debian system
    > Thanks for any help.
    > -Bryan

    First, Slax is not Slackware. I can't speak to how similar it may be - if
    Slax is what used to be Slackware Live, I tried it awhile back and the
    packaging was similar, but the system as a whole diverged from Slack in a
    lot of ways. It's an unofficial variant.

    With that in mind, the standard procedure for building a Slackware package
    is to write a SlackBuild script (which is just './configure && make &&
    makepkg' with a lot of elaboration) and then run it. It should unpack the
    tarball, build the package, placing what will be the actual package files
    in /tmp/package-$NAME, and the last line should run the Slackware script
    'makepkg' on it. A finished Slackware package is simply an ordinary
    tarball with a filename of a particular format (NAME-VER-ARCH-BUILD.tgz)
    and a directory alongside the directory mirror called 'install' with a
    'slack-desc' file in it and possibly a 'doinst.sh' script. Slack-desc is a
    plain text file describing the program which is prepended to the filelist
    which is entered into the 'package database' (the collection of plain text
    files in /var/log/packages) and the doinst.sh is a (generally generated)
    script that recreates any symlinks that were in the package and
    (optionally) any other work that needs to be done besides just unpacking
    it. In other words, the only tools needed are the standard build tools,
    tar/gzip, and the Slackware pkgtools. So adapting those last to a Debian
    system might be difficult or more than difficult.

    Another alternative is to do './configure && make && checkinstall' which
    produces slack-descs of slightly non-standard format and may have problems
    with statically compiled apps and has other idiosyncrasies, but generally
    does a reasonable job of producing packages. It can produce rpms, slack
    packages, and deb packages but, to produce Slackware packages, it relies
    on Slack tools just the same, so that won't help building on Debian.

    You might be better off posting to alt.os.linux.slackware or joining
    ##slackware at irc.freenode.net (I'm often there) to get more
    discussion/answers. Also, check the /source directory of your nearest
    Slackware mirror and look at Patrick's actual build scripts to get an idea
    of how it's done. Lastly, although I don't recommend it in general, and
    they may not be compatible with Slax, you can check out 3rd party packages
    at www.userlocal.com/www.linuxpackages.com (something like that, Google
    for the right address) and they may already have what you need. And
    Slackware itself comes with JDK in the standard packages and the SDK in
    /extra (IIRC), though I don't recall which versions.

    Lastly, I apologize for the long post - and for however it may be screwed
    up. I'm playing around with a new newsreader (etc.) and probably haven't
    figured it out yet.

  3. Re: Slackware jdk packages

    J wrote:
> [...]

    > won't help building on Debian.
    >
    > You might be better off posting to alt.os.linux.slackware or joining
    > ##slackware at irc.freenode.net (I'm often there) to get more
    > discussion/answers. Also, check the /source directory of your nearest
    > Slackware mirror and look at Patrick's actual build scripts to get an
    > idea of how it's done. Lastly, although I don't recommend it in
    > general, and they may not be compatible with Slax, you can check out
    > 3rd party packages at www.userlocal.com/www.linuxpackages.com
    > (something like that, Google for the right address) and they may
    > already have what you need. And Slackware itself comes with JDK in the
    > standard packages and the SDK in /extra (IIRC), though I don't recall
    > which versions.
    >
    > Lastly, I apologize for the long post - and for however it may be
    > screwed up. I'm playing around with a new newsreader (etc.) and

    No sweat... Thanks for the info. (both package info and Slax/Slackware
    backgroud)
    -Bryan

+ Reply to Thread