Using kppp as normal users - Questions

This is a discussion on Using kppp as normal users - Questions ; How do yiu suing kppp as normal users without go to root. Thank in advance....

  1. Using kppp as normal users

    How do yiu suing kppp as normal users without go to root. Thank in
    advance.

  2. Re: Using kppp as normal users

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.questions, in article
    , Luan Pham wrote:

    >How do yiu suing kppp as normal users without go to root.

    Actually, I'm not using kppp - I use a boot script that runs pppd
    in 'demand' mode - hence there is no need for the bloated security hole.

    However, you can do this several ways:

    1. See if your distribution has a usrctrl (User Control) mode. This would
    be listed in the configuration file for kppp, probably somewhere in /etc/,
    possibly '/etc/kppp.allow'

    2. Use 'sudo' in place of 'su'

    3. Change the permissions of the real kppp binary (probably in /usr/sbin,
    but may be anywhere) to '-rwsr-xr-x' if anyone is allowed to run it. IF
    only selected users can do so, put those users in a group such as 'pppusers'
    (see the man page for your admin tool to see how to do this - it involves
    editing /etc/group which is a bit dangerous to do directly), then change
    the ownership of the kppp binary to rootppusers using the 'chown' command
    and change the permissions to -rwsr-x---.

    Note that some distributions have a security "feature" that resets the
    permissions on SUID binaries to what it defines as "safe". Thus, option 3
    above may not work for you.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread