Indexed mail search? - Questions

This is a discussion on Indexed mail search? - Questions ; Hi folks. I have a huge amount of old mail that I very much want to keep around. In fact, I end up searching through it on a pretty regular basis - and these searches tend to take a good ...

  1. Indexed mail search?

    Hi folks.

    I have a huge amount of old mail that I very much want to keep around. In
    fact, I end up searching through it on a pretty regular basis - and these
    searches tend to take a good half hour on a modern machine.

    Is there such a thing as *ix software that'll index your e-mail archive,
    keep the mail around in a compressed form, and allow you to do rapid
    queries of your archived e-mail?

    I'm not talking about something like dovecot, which only does headers -
    and does a good job of it, too.

    I mean something that'll index message bodies, ideally with mime
    knowledge and html, in much the same way that google indexes web pages
    with html knowledge.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Indexed mail search?

    Dan Stromberg wrote:
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > I have a huge amount of old mail that I very much want to keep around. In
    > fact, I end up searching through it on a pretty regular basis - and these
    > searches tend to take a good half hour on a modern machine.
    >
    > Is there such a thing as *ix software that'll index your e-mail archive,
    > keep the mail around in a compressed form, and allow you to do rapid
    > queries of your archived e-mail?
    >
    > I'm not talking about something like dovecot, which only does headers -
    > and does a good job of it, too.
    >
    > I mean something that'll index message bodies, ideally with mime
    > knowledge and html, in much the same way that google indexes web pages
    > with html knowledge.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I have used htdig for this in the past. Setup is fairly easy - just have
    the spider run through your file system directory instead of URLs. I have
    also heard about mairix (http://www.rc0.org.uk/mairix) but have never used
    it.

    Doug
    --