ftp problem to windows 2000 server - Questions

This is a discussion on ftp problem to windows 2000 server - Questions ; Hi, I am running Fedora Core 4 and I am not able to download/list any files from Windows 2000 ftp servers. During the FTP and when typing "ls" command, the FTP hungs and can not anything returned. I do not ...

  1. ftp problem to windows 2000 server

    Hi,

    I am running Fedora Core 4 and I am not able to download/list any files from
    Windows 2000 ftp servers.

    During the FTP and when typing "ls" command, the FTP hungs and can not
    anything returned. I do not have any problem when ftp to any unix servers.

  2. Re: ftp problem to windows 2000 server

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:02:45 +0000 HRPANEL scrawled this disquisition:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running Fedora Core 4 and I am not able to download/list any files from
    > Windows 2000 ftp servers.
    >
    > During the FTP and when typing "ls" command, the FTP hungs and can not
    > anything returned. I do not have any problem when ftp to any unix servers.

    Did a website couple years ago that the folks had to have hosted on a
    Windoze server. Drove me crazy!!

    Only ftp program I could get to connect was ncftp2

    Try using "dir" instead of ls. Think in dos.

    FS

  3. Re: ftp problem to windows 2000 server

    Friendly wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:02:45 +0000 HRPANEL scrawled this disquisition:
    >
    > Try using "dir" instead of ls. Think in dos.

    I can confirm that the problem is with the server, not the client.

    Try toggling "passive" mode on the server, or try some other servers off
    download.com.

    I tested hundreds of servers a few years ago, but unfortunately I have not
    kept the results or the software, since I have migrated to Linux.

    I used CuteFTP a few years ago. Then I changed to another one.
    I think you need specific versions, (the upgrades scuppered these up).

    I had problems from Windows to Windows machines, and you had to use specific
    Windows clients also.

    Windows is not a good platform for server based stuff really, (its not a good
    platform for anything), so you will probably end up migrating to vsftpd on
    Linux for serving files.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: ftp problem to windows 2000 server

    "Friendly" wrote in message
    news:1124867481.ef081a8f4a33c0510f28199a5caf9854@t eranews...
    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:02:45 +0000 HRPANEL scrawled this disquisition:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am running Fedora Core 4 and I am not able to download/list any files
    >> from
    >> Windows 2000 ftp servers.
    >>
    >> During the FTP and when typing "ls" command, the FTP hungs and can not
    >> anything returned. I do not have any problem when ftp to any unix
    >> servers.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    > Did a website couple years ago that the folks had to have hosted on a
    > Windoze server. Drove me crazy!!
    >
    > Only ftp program I could get to connect was ncftp2
    >
    > Try using "dir" instead of ls. Think in dos.

    Which ftp program are you using? /usr/bin/ftp, or /usr/kerberos/bin/ftp? You
    could also try lftp or ncftp, which I've come to actually prefer: the
    default if you type "ftp" on a fully equipped FC4 system is
    /usr/kerberos/bin/ftp.

    Let us know what works or doesn't for you.

+ Reply to Thread