SIGSEGV informations - Questions

This is a discussion on SIGSEGV informations - Questions ; Hello, I run on Linux.I have a big multithread application with many dynamic library. Sometimes I receive a SIGSEGV. How is it possible to obtain more informations, call stack or something else to help me to find my bug(s)? Thanks ...

  1. SIGSEGV informations

    Hello,

    I run on Linux.I have a big multithread application with many dynamic
    library. Sometimes I receive a SIGSEGV.

    How is it possible to obtain more informations, call stack or something else
    to help me to find my bug(s)?

    Thanks for all suggestions.

    Serge

  2. Re: SIGSEGV informations

    In article , Serge Wenger wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I run on Linux.I have a big multithread application with many dynamic
    > library. Sometimes I receive a SIGSEGV.
    >
    > How is it possible to obtain more informations, call stack or
    > something else to help me to find my bug(s)?

    man gdb

    Good luck,
    Apostolos

    --
    Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail

  3. Re: SIGSEGV informations

    Thank for the suggestion.

    It was not what I hope. I search for a method to give the call stack when an
    error occurs on a customer machine, not only on development machine.

    Thanks

    Serge

    "tosoAplos" a crit dans le message de news:
    ddi0am$2283$1@ulysses.noc.ntua.gr...
    > In article , Serge Wenger wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I run on Linux.I have a big multithread application with many dynamic
    >> library. Sometimes I receive a SIGSEGV.
    >>
    >> How is it possible to obtain more informations, call stack or
    >> something else to help me to find my bug(s)?

    > man gdb
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Apostolos
    >
    > --
    > Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail

  4. Re: SIGSEGV informations

    Please don't top-post. You can use OE-QuoteFix for a proper arrangement
    of quotes ( http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/ )

    On , 17 2005 at 09:06 GMT, Serge Wenger wrote:
    > "tosoAplos" a crit dans le message de news:
    > ddi0am$2283$1@ulysses.noc.ntua.gr...
    >> In article , Serge Wenger wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I run on Linux.I have a big multithread application with many dynamic
    >>> library. Sometimes I receive a SIGSEGV.
    >>>
    >>> How is it possible to obtain more informations, call stack or
    >>> something else to help me to find my bug(s)?

    >> man gdb
    >>
    >> Apostolos

    > Thank for the suggestion.
    >
    > It was not what I hope. I search for a method to give the call stack when an
    > error occurs on a customer machine, not only on development machine.
    >
    > Serge

    If you have the source, you can use assert(), or other debugging
    techniques, in certain places of your code to find out what's wrong.

    If you don't have the source code, I know gdb can do remote debugging
    but I've never used it remotely.

    Apostolos

    --
    Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail

  5. Re: SIGSEGV informations

    "Serge Wenger" writes:

    > Thank for the suggestion.

    Please do not top-post:
    http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

    > It was not what I hope. I search for a method to give the call stack when an
    > error occurs on a customer machine, not only on development machine.

    The exact same method works on the customer machine.
    Just ask customer to run your program under gdb.

    There are also routines in glibc, which allow you to print crash
    stack trace: backtrace() and backtrace_symbols() [do "info libc"
    -> Backtraces].

    You'll have to install a SIGSEGV handler, print the stack trace
    and abort(). Further details here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4ff8fb2959797a

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  6. Re: SIGSEGV informations

    "Serge Wenger" writes:

    >>> How is it possible to obtain more informations, call stack or
    >>> something else to help me to find my bug(s)?

    Oh, and one more thing: run your app ander valgrind, and be sure
    to fix all bugs it finds.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  7. Re: SIGSEGV informations

    > Oh, and one more thing: run your app ander valgrind, and be sure
    > to fix all bugs it finds.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

    Thanks for your help

    Serge

    PS: Sorry for the top-post

  8. Re: SIGSEGV informations

    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>I run on Linux.I have a big multithread application with many dynamic
    >>>library. Sometimes I receive a SIGSEGV.
    >>>
    >>>How is it possible to obtain more informations, call stack or
    >>>something else to help me to find my bug(s)?

    >>man gdb
    >>
    >>Good luck,
    >>Apostolos
    >>
    >>--
    >>Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail

    The idea would be to get a core dumped on your client. Then you can
    fetch it back to your developpment platform and analyse it with gdb as
    Apostolos suggested.

    Of course to get a "juicy" core it would be better you have the source
    that you can compile on debug mode. Also check ulimit is set correctly
    on your client side.

+ Reply to Thread