Looking for an application - Questions

This is a discussion on Looking for an application - Questions ; I have been playing with Linux for a long-time. For whatever reason nothing made sense to me until I obtained a distro of Mini-Linux on a two-set floppy. Then it clicked as it was brought down to my level of ...

  1. Looking for an application

    I have been playing with Linux for a long-time. For whatever reason
    nothing made sense to me until I obtained a distro of Mini-Linux on a
    two-set floppy. Then it clicked as it was brought down to my level of
    understanding - that being DOS. I could see the beauty of Linux at the
    true level - just like DOS (in my mind) and then the rest was easy.

    A GUI basically compiles things that a person needs to do by typing in a
    command in a way that translates the mouse into keystrokes. I bought an
    optical mouse for an XT machine and the pad then was a series of blue
    lines that crisscrossed so the mouse could determine its map location on
    the screen.

    Anyway - I feel like Linux is in a state of development maybe equal to
    Win 3.1 or to be charitable maybe even 95 - which is great. But at the
    moment I am running and doing things equal to XP and/or MAC - probably
    closer to MAC as Windows plays catch-up with MAC for Graphics.

    I capture mainly video and then edit it. I have heard and I know there
    are basic programs within Linux that do things - about like DOS did (heck
    if you have ever used Trumpet Newsreader - it just downloaded the news in
    a raw fashion - then you needed to use UUdecode, Mime64, Base64, etc -
    but without a GUI to tie all that stuff together - I have already went
    through the days when I thought it was just fun in itself to decode a
    newsmessage - PAN not being equal to Xnews for that matter as it does not
    Post.

    I found GIMP and GIMP is a real treat - it works in LINUX and Windows -
    and is a pretty good Clone of PhotoShop unless one really sophisticated.
    I was wondering if there was a LINUX equivalent of VirtualDub?

    I can run Xnews under WINE - but VirtualDub does not work well - and
    really if those or make or break apps - why put the pressure on your
    processor - just run them native.

    Any apps out there - any thoughts of apps out there? Any thoughts. And
    you realize I guess that this is important for LINUX if it wishes to
    equal or exceed Windows as more and more Windows boxes have TV-Cards and
    folks will want to edit them easily.

    So if you could point to something beside MYTH which is a good capture
    program - heck even KDE has a basic capture TV-device - I mean once
    captured - you need an editor with just a basic interface like VirtualDub
    that is also sophisticated enough o one does not need to type commands
    all day - so the mouse takes the place of things.

    thanks.

    bye

    I am thankful if you have taken the time to read this whether you could
    be of assistance or not. Thanks.

  2. Re: Looking for an application

    evieg wrote:
    > I have been playing with Linux for a long-time. For whatever reason
    > nothing made sense to me until I obtained a distro of Mini-Linux on a
    > two-set floppy. Then it clicked as it was brought down to my level of
    > understanding - that being DOS. I could see the beauty of Linux at the
    > true level - just like DOS (in my mind) and then the rest was easy.
    >

    > A GUI basically compiles things that a person needs to do by typing in a
    > command in a way that translates the mouse into keystrokes. I bought an
    > optical mouse for an XT machine and the pad then was a series of blue
    > lines that crisscrossed so the mouse could determine its map location on
    > the screen.
    >
    > Anyway - I feel like Linux is in a state of development maybe equal to
    > Win 3.1 or to be charitable maybe even 95 - which is great. But at the
    > moment I am running and doing things equal to XP and/or MAC - probably
    > closer to MAC as Windows plays catch-up with MAC for Graphics.
    >
    > I capture mainly video and then edit it. I have heard and I know there
    > are basic programs within Linux that do things - about like DOS did (heck
    > if you have ever used Trumpet Newsreader - it just downloaded the news in
    > a raw fashion - then you needed to use UUdecode, Mime64, Base64, etc -
    > but without a GUI to tie all that stuff together - I have already went
    > through the days when I thought it was just fun in itself to decode a
    > newsmessage - PAN not being equal to Xnews for that matter as it does not
    > Post.
    >
    > I found GIMP and GIMP is a real treat - it works in LINUX and Windows -
    > and is a pretty good Clone of PhotoShop unless one really sophisticated.
    > I was wondering if there was a LINUX equivalent of VirtualDub?
    >
    > I can run Xnews under WINE - but VirtualDub does not work well - and
    > really if those or make or break apps - why put the pressure on your
    > processor - just run them native.
    >
    > Any apps out there - any thoughts of apps out there? Any thoughts. And
    > you realize I guess that this is important for LINUX if it wishes to
    > equal or exceed Windows as more and more Windows boxes have TV-Cards and
    > folks will want to edit them easily.
    >
    > So if you could point to something beside MYTH which is a good capture
    > program - heck even KDE has a basic capture TV-device - I mean once
    > captured - you need an editor with just a basic interface like VirtualDub
    > that is also sophisticated enough o one does not need to type commands
    > all day - so the mouse takes the place of things.
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > bye
    >
    > I am thankful if you have taken the time to read this whether you could
    > be of assistance or not. Thanks.

    You might want to check out the equivalents table at
    http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/index.shtml

    If you're coming from a windows background, it will get you started. I
    won't vouch for the apps listed in the table but you will find some good
    programs.

    Doug

  3. Re: Looking for an application

    evieg wrote:

    > So if you could point to something beside MYTH which is a good capture
    > program - heck even KDE has a basic capture TV-device - I mean once
    > captured - you need an editor with just a basic interface like VirtualDub
    > that is also sophisticated enough o one does not need to type commands
    > all day - so the mouse takes the place of things.

    Freshmeat.net has some links to video programs here:
    http://unix.freshmeat.net/browse/125/

    --
    CDA

+ Reply to Thread