Newbie question /usr vs /usr/local - Questions

This is a discussion on Newbie question /usr vs /usr/local - Questions ; Hi all, Sorry if this newbie question has seen a lot of traffic in this news group. Could someone please explain what is the difference between the lib, bin and share etc. directories in /usr and /usr/local. All the distros ...

  1. Newbie question /usr vs /usr/local

    Hi all,

    Sorry if this newbie question has seen a lot of traffic in this news group.

    Could someone please explain what is the difference between the lib, bin
    and share etc. directories in /usr and /usr/local.

    All the distros I have tried seem to keep all the programs and libraries
    on the system in /usr/bin and /usr/lib. However whenever I download a
    tarball and build it, it always seems to try and install in /usr/local/*
    and I have to force installation in the right place by passing
    --prefix=/usr to configure.

    What is this local folder for?

    Regards,

    Chris

  2. Re: Newbie question /usr vs /usr/local

    Chris Morrison wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Sorry if this newbie question has seen a lot of traffic in this news group.
    >
    > Could someone please explain what is the difference between the lib, bin
    > and share etc. directories in /usr and /usr/local.

    Here's the quick and dirty....

    * Directories immediatly off of the root directory are likely (and expected)
    to be available immediately after boot. Other directories are possibly
    mounted. So, /lib, /sbin, and /bin are directories that carry stuff you'll
    need immediately after boot, while the system is starting up.

    /lib is for the essential libraries. These are the support routines, the
    Unix equivalents of Microsoft DLLs and they have to be available pretty
    much all the time

    /sbin is for essential 'system binaries', which are programs used for system
    management rather than programs for end user use

    /bin is for essential general use binaries

    * The /usr tree contains files that are more general, less system
    startup/recovery specific. /usr can be a seperate filesystem that
    is mounted after boot, so nothing in the /usr tree may be used for
    system startup

    /usr/lib is for non-essential libraries
    /usr/sbin is for non-essential system binaries
    /usr/bin is for non-essential general use binaries

    * For programs that are not supplied with the distribution, but are compiled
    from source on the local machine, the /usr subtree designates a further
    /usr/local sub-subtree

    /usr/local/src is for the source code to the locally compiled programs
    /usr/local/lib is for the locally compiled libraries
    /usr/local/sbin is for the locally compiled system binaries
    /usr/local/bin is for the locally compiled general use binaries

    * For third-party packages that (for various reasons usually relating to how
    they are installed) need their own directory structure, the /opt subtree
    provides places for each package to put itself.

    - --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Newbie question /usr vs /usr/local

    Clearer now.

    Thank you.