most unixy linux? - Questions

This is a discussion on most unixy linux? - Questions ; I want to get started in Linux. Or at least I think I do. There are too many distros to make sense of. Red Hat is ubiquitous, but seems to do things a little different that actual Unix, like put ...

  1. most unixy linux?

    I want to get started in Linux. Or at least I think I do. There are too
    many distros to make sense of. Red Hat is ubiquitous, but seems to do
    things a little different that actual Unix, like put system files in
    non-standard locations. BSD seems to have poor Java support. Mandrake does
    a good job of GUIfying tasks for the user, meaning I won't have to learn
    much about what happens under the covers -- which is a Bad Thing.

    I want an x86 Unix variant which is as much like Unix as possible, has
    excellent Java support, plays well on a Windows network, and won't require
    me to install X windows at all. If it helps, imagine that what I'm trying
    to do is set up a Unix system at home a lot like the Old Days -- dumb
    terminal clients, COBOL, analog modems, etc. Except I also need Java
    support.

    Which distro do I want?

  2. Re: most unixy linux?

  3. Re: most unixy linux?

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:04:38 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > To quote http://www.slackware.com/info/
    > The Slackware Philosophy
    > Since its first release in April of 1993, the Slackware Linux Project has
    > aimed at producing the most "UNIX-like" Linux distribution out there.
    > Slackware complies with the published Linux standards, such as the Linux
    > File System Standard. We have always considered simplicity and stability
    > paramount, and as a result Slackware has become one of the most popular,
    > stable, and friendly distributions available.

    Seconded ) I run windows + slackware, networked...

    --Grant.

  4. Re: most unixy linux?

    vector wrote:

    > I want an x86 Unix variant which is as much like Unix as possible, has
    > excellent Java support, plays well on a Windows network, and won't require
    > me to install X windows at all. If it helps, imagine that what I'm trying
    > to do is set up a Unix system at home a lot like the Old Days -- dumb
    > terminal clients, COBOL, analog modems, etc. Except I also need Java
    > support.
    >
    > Which distro do I want?

    What Unix is "Unixy" to you? Sunos, Solaris, HP, SCO, AIX ??

    They are all "Unixy" to me, and all have different administration,
    different sys admin tools, etc.

    And any Linux is markedly different than any of them..

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  5. Re: most unixy linux?

    vector wrote:
    > I want to get started in Linux. Or at least I think I do. There are too
    > many distros to make sense of. Red Hat is ubiquitous, but seems to do
    > things a little different that actual Unix, like put system files in
    > non-standard locations. BSD seems to have poor Java support. Mandrake does
    > a good job of GUIfying tasks for the user, meaning I won't have to learn
    > much about what happens under the covers -- which is a Bad Thing.
    >
    > I want an x86 Unix variant which is as much like Unix as possible, has
    > excellent Java support, plays well on a Windows network, and won't require
    > me to install X windows at all. If it helps, imagine that what I'm trying
    > to do is set up a Unix system at home a lot like the Old Days -- dumb
    > terminal clients, COBOL, analog modems, etc. Except I also need Java
    > support.
    >
    > Which distro do I want?

    Solaris 10? http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/opensolaris.jsp

    Can't be much more "unixy" than that...

    Doug

  6. Re: most unixy linux?

  7. Re: most unixy linux?

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.questions, in article
    , Tony Lawrence wrote:

    >vector wrote:

    >> I want an x86 Unix variant which is as much like Unix as possible, has
    >> excellent Java support, plays well on a Windows network, and won't require
    >> me to install X windows at all.

    "UNIX" is a trademark, and can only be applied to those operating systems
    that have paid the bux to be blessed by the Open Group. See the Unix FAQ
    that is posted to comp.unix.questions, comp.unix.shell, comp.answers, and
    news.answers every couple of weeks. "Legally" the only x86 UNIX is
    probably Sloaris, which has even less hardware support than the BSDs.

    >What Unix is "Unixy" to you? Sunos, Solaris, HP, SCO, AIX ??

    MOMMY!!! Tony said SEVERAL bad words!!! Wash his mouth out with soap!

    >They are all "Unixy" to me, and all have different administration,
    >different sys admin tools, etc.

    Actually, looking at the first two (SunOS, a BSD derivative verses
    Sloaris, a SysVr4 derivative) proves that there is no such thing as
    a typical UNIX. Both of those are branded UNIX, and differ as much
    as night and day. I supported both 4.1.3 (and 4.1.4) and 2.5.5 at the
    same time (along with IRIX 6.x), and it used to drive me nuts trying
    to remember the correct options to use with "identical" commands, like
    '/bin/ps'.

    >And any Linux is markedly different than any of them..

    Yup - there is a minor amount of standardization in Linux.

    Lew suggested Slackware, to which I would add Debian and Gentoo. The
    "popular" distributions like Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva and SuSE can
    (like any *nix) be admin'ed from the command line, but they are more
    optimized for the GUI crowd.

    Old guy

  8. Re: most unixy linux?

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:04:38 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    Yeah, I will third that. I was looking for the exact same thing, the most
    unixy gnu/linux and I ended up with slackware. Its a good one!

    Dan

+ Reply to Thread