Newbie hardware questions, Thanks in Advance. - Questions

This is a discussion on Newbie hardware questions, Thanks in Advance. - Questions ; Hi all, I haven't used Linux yet but have been wanting to and I figured since I have the following hardware laying about, now would be a good time. My question is...would there be any conflicts with the following hardware/configuration? ...

  1. Newbie hardware questions, Thanks in Advance.

    Hi all,
    I haven't used Linux yet but have been wanting to and I figured
    since I have the following hardware laying about, now would be
    a good time. My question is...would there be any conflicts with
    the following hardware/configuration?

    AMD Duron 700Mhz
    FIC AZ11 Mobo
    768MB Generic RAM
    Nvidia Geforce256 32MB DDR AGP Video Card
    Onboard AC97 Sound or Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI 128?
    Which would be easier to setup?
    No Hard disk yet - Any recommendations as to size? Minimum? Max?
    Generic CD-ROM
    NIC - D-Link DFE-530TX+ or 3Com 3C905B-TX?
    Any recommendation or preferences between these two?
    PSU - Any recommendations on the minimum? For a Windows
    PC and this hardware I would use around a 350 watt PSU.
    Would that be sufficient?

    As I said, any help/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks for your time!

    Zen

  2. Re: Newbie hardware questions, Thanks in Advance.

    > As I said, any help/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks for your time!
    >
    > Zen

    Along with what the previous poster said (which was all good) when you get a
    distribution, make sure you read ALL the text files that come with each
    associated setup part i.e. lilo howto, bootdisk howto, hardware howto, etc
    the last seems to be most appropriate to what you were referring to although
    all are virtually mandatory to read.

  3. Re: Newbie hardware questions, Thanks in Advance.

    " haven't used Linux yet but have been wanting to and I figured
    since I have the following hardware laying about, now would be
    a good time. My question is...would there be any conflicts with
    the following hardware/configuration?...."

    Being very new myself for the most part, I have found that some distros do
    not like NVidia. Three os the live distros didn't have a problem with
    mine, knoppix, PCLinuxOS (which was great) and Simply Mepis. I installed
    Debian stable and could not get my NVidia to get a larger screen that
    800x600. I bought a ATI card from Compusa for $60.00, managed to edit the
    XWindows setup (ini) file (don't know what it's called....) and I now have
    good resolution choices.

    Other than that I have a four year old PIII at 1 ghz, 256 megs and two
    hd's. The install takes less than 10 gigs so any hd has lots of space.

    gl

+ Reply to Thread