Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help - Questions

This is a discussion on Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help - Questions ; Good Day All, I am trying to setup an ftp server at home so I can make some files available over the internet. I am using VSFTP with redhat 8.0 and it works fine as long I use the IP ...

  1. Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help

    Good Day All,

    I am trying to setup an ftp server at home so I can make some files
    available over the internet. I am using VSFTP with redhat 8.0 and it works
    fine as long I use the IP of my server at home provided by ISP. Here is the
    trick, instead of using
    ftp://192.168.1.1/docs I want to be able to use something like
    ftp://training.linuxathome.com.

    I don't have a lot of networking background, so please bare with me and
    hopefully by answering these I'll have better Idea where to start.

    1) Do I need to setup DNS ?
    2) If I do, that means I need to have domain name hosted by my ISP, correct?
    3) I heard that some companies offer free DNS hosting, if that is correct,
    who are these companies?
    4) what is the best way to approach this?

    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

  2. Re: Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help

    mohamad2181 wrote:
    > Good Day All,
    >
    > I am trying to setup an ftp server at home so I can make some files
    > available over the internet. I am using VSFTP with redhat 8.0 and it works
    > fine as long I use the IP of my server at home provided by ISP. Here is the
    > trick, instead of using
    > ftp://192.168.1.1/docs I want to be able to use something like
    > ftp://training.linuxathome.com.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of networking background, so please bare with me and
    > hopefully by answering these I'll have better Idea where to start.
    >
    > 1) Do I need to setup DNS ?

    Yes.

    > 2) If I do, that means I need to have domain name hosted by my ISP, correct?

    Not necessarily, no.

    http://www.dyndns.org is probably the best known.

    Does http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B1088.html help?

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  3. Re: Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help

    Tony Lawrence wrote:

    > http://www.dyndns.org is probably the best known.
    >
    >> 4) what is the best way to approach this?

    > Does http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B1088.html help?

    And I should have mentioned that if that IP is static, all you need to
    do is go to a dns registrar like network solutions, register a domain,
    and plug in that ip.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com