what to do about "security upgrades available" icon (Debian) - Questions

This is a discussion on what to do about "security upgrades available" icon (Debian) - Questions ; Debian sarge. There's some widget I installed that is popping up a notification window telling me that security upgrades are available. I click on "download them", and then it brings up Synaptic. But nothing is listed in Synaptic as needing ...

  1. what to do about "security upgrades available" icon (Debian)

    Debian sarge. There's some widget I installed that is popping up a
    notification window telling me that security upgrades are available.
    I click on "download them", and then it brings up Synaptic.
    But nothing is listed in Synaptic as needing to be done,
    The notification thingie is unsatisfied, and its icon
    remains in warning mode.

    This message started appearing in the last week, I think.
    Is this related to the promotion of sarge to stable?

    Is there something I should be doing?
    If not, can I get it to shut up?
    What does it think is going on?

  2. Re: what to do about "security upgrades available" icon (Debian)

    Christopher C. Stacy wrote:

    >Debian sarge. There's some widget I installed that is popping up a
    >notification window telling me that security upgrades are available.
    >I click on "download them", and then it brings up Synaptic.
    >But nothing is listed in Synaptic as needing to be done,
    >The notification thingie is unsatisfied, and its icon
    >remains in warning mode.
    >
    >This message started appearing in the last week, I think.
    >Is this related to the promotion of sarge to stable?
    >
    >Is there something I should be doing?

    Yes - remove the widget

    >If not, can I get it to shut up?
    >What does it think is going on?

    Now seriuously - use the honest command line. First run "apt-get
    update" to refresh the list of packages. Then run "apt-get upgrade",
    which will tell you if there is anything new to install. That way you
    will know for sure if it's synaptic that doesn't properly display the
    new packages or your widget.

    Hope this helps
    Mihai

+ Reply to Thread