200GB ATA HDD and Redhat 7.3 2.4.20 kernel - Questions

This is a discussion on 200GB ATA HDD and Redhat 7.3 2.4.20 kernel - Questions ; Hello, linux gurus. I thing You are more familiar with this situation than I am. I never had a HDD-s with capacity over 120GB until now, and the problems began... system: Redhat 7.3 (ok, e-smith 6.0 distribution) kernel: 2.4.20-28 /dev/hda: ...

  1. 200GB ATA HDD and Redhat 7.3 2.4.20 kernel

    Hello, linux gurus. I thing You are more familiar with this situation than
    I am. I never had a HDD-s with capacity over 120GB until now, and the
    problems began...

    system: Redhat 7.3 (ok, e-smith 6.0 distribution)
    kernel: 2.4.20-28
    /dev/hda: system HDD: 80GB Maxtor splitted to 4 partitions.
    /dev/hdd: 120GB HDD with 2 partitions
    A new additional HDD 200GB and I cant make it work!

    and problem is that I cant make so big partition like I want and even if I
    try to migrate /dev/hdd* on the big new harddrive /dev/hdc*. but the
    copying dont go without errors.

    the "research" history:

    I just added 200GB IDE HDD (well 189, if 1kB is 1024 bytes), and made
    all available size as 1 primary partition. A new 200GB harddisk is hdc.
    reboot and after that
    mkfs -t ext3 -T largefile -m 0 /dev/hdc1
    and after that
    fsck /dev/hdc1
    but oh no! it says that bad superblock.

    eventually all is ok, if the partition size is less than 138000M or
    something (that sounds like 128GB limit?)

    and now, the first question:
    **1. does ext3 fs has a partition size limit like 128GB ?

    For the second:

    For just a try I just give up and make 3 partitions (120GB 40GB and
    40GB or so) with fdisk; reboot; formatting with ext3fs; mount;
    and finally I start to copy the files to the
    120GB partition and to the 40GB partition:

    attempt to copy the all files with midnight commander: 3 times I tried
    and every time on the random time, but ALWAYS I get a message during
    the copying "No such file..." and it targets the target directory.
    I unmount all partitions on 200GB hdd and fsck /dev/hdc2 (the 40GB
    partition after the 120GB big one). And fsck finds errors!!!

    attempt to copy the all files with cp : 3 times... "successful" becouse
    it does not give errors but the fsck finds it anyway!

    and after 5-6 times of trying and trying I understood that it doesnot
    matter on which partition the errors occur, the errors are always with
    200GB HDD resulting the filesystem error and the only error-free
    filesystem is filesystem without files.

    looking up the kernel messages the kernel says: attempt to access beyond
    the end of device.
    is this message related with this file system occuring error?

    kernel message: i8253 count too high! resetting..
    is it related with the filesystem error in some way? I'm not sure that
    it does not affect the HDD controller chipset.

    ... or does the kernel now needs just a additional patch or something
    add-on code if Redhat 7.3 2.4.20-28 kernel have to deal with any partition
    on the >128GB HDD ?

    doing commnand
    badblocks -v /dev/hdc1
    or

    -v /dev/hdc2
    or
    -v /dev/hdc3
    it always gives an error after reaching the end of the partition and it
    says that attempt to reach beyond end of the device.
    and marks the 4 last blocks bad. on every partition (even on the
    /dev/hda*) but *except* /dev/hda1
    why?

    please help.
    Aleks

  2. Re: 200GB ATA HDD and Redhat 7.3 2.4.20 kernel

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.questions, in article
    ,
    Aleksander Harmas wrote:

    >system: Redhat 7.3 (ok, e-smith 6.0 distribution)

    Technically, not the same. And 'E-Smith' is now "SME Server".

    >kernel: 2.4.20-28

    "2.4.20-28.7" was the last Red Hat revised kernel for 7.3, but
    download.fedoralegacy.org has released three further kernel updates to
    the current '2.4.20-43.7.legacy' just a few days ago.

    >A new additional HDD 200GB and I cant make it work!

    Yup. At your favorite Linux Documentation Project mirror site:

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 79391 Nov 8 2004 Large-Disk-HOWTO

    >**1. does ext3 fs has a partition size limit like 128GB ?

    Someplace up in the Terrabytes.

    >For just a try I just give up and make 3 partitions (120GB 40GB and
    >40GB or so) with fdisk;

    You're running into a 'disk to big' problem. See that HOWTO.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread