Help with Search Feature - Questions

This is a discussion on Help with Search Feature - Questions ; Can anyone help me fine either in the Mandriva Help Center or someplace on the internet where a Newbie like myself can type in a word or 2 and find Help relating to that? I only have located Contents and ...

  1. Help with Search Feature

    Can anyone help me fine either in the Mandriva Help Center or someplace on
    the internet where a Newbie like myself can type in a word or 2 and find
    Help relating to that? I only have located Contents and Glossary in my
    Mandriva SE 2005, nowhere am I able to just type in a word and get to the
    subject.

    All I want is some help putting up a prettier (yes I'm a girl) wallpaper and
    I think my problem has to do with resolution because the image is blurred.

    One thing I like about online Help books are the ability to go right to the
    problem without searching under all headings. and being so new to linux,
    it's all greek, I wouldn't know a correct heading unless it said wallpaper.
    I've looked under desktop related contents but that's not what I needed.

    Can anyone show me a website that has this Search feature on Linux
    information? TIA for any help....katy

  2. Re: Help with Search Feature

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:01:36 -0500, Katy wrote:
    > Can anyone help me fine either in the Mandriva Help Center or someplace on
    > the internet where a Newbie like myself can type in a word or 2 and find
    > Help relating to that? I only have located Contents and Glossary in my
    > Mandriva SE 2005, nowhere am I able to just type in a word and get to the
    > subject.

    click up a terminal for one word search of manual (man) pages
    and enter

    man -k word_here
    for two word search
    man -k word_here | grep second word here

    The above is mostly for commandline and programming man pages.

    For extra points do a
    man man
    man grep
    man find

    You can use find and grep to searh through files on your system.

    Please bookmark the following, very large,
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    key word(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    More docs on your system if you installed the howto package.

    If you would like to generate an index.htm of documentation on your
    disk look here

    slrnbt899u.be.BitTwister@wb.home in the Message ID box.

    Today's Tip of the Day, very large
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    recommend good book in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    Searched English messages for recommend good book group:*linux*.

    http://www.tldp.org has lots of documentation.

    > All I want is some help putting up a prettier (yes I'm a girl) wallpaper and
    > I think my problem has to do with resolution because the image is blurred.

    Maybe it is the picture. Go here
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html
    and pick a few or "Particle Sizes in Saturn's Rings"

    and try them as wall paper.

  3. Re: Help with Search Feature

    Katy said the following, on 05/28/05 20:01:
    > Can anyone help me fine either in the Mandriva Help Center or someplace on
    > the internet where a Newbie like myself can type in a word or 2 and find
    > Help relating to that? I only have located Contents and Glossary in my
    > Mandriva SE 2005, nowhere am I able to just type in a word and get to the
    > subject.
    >
    > All I want is some help putting up a prettier (yes I'm a girl) wallpaper and
    > I think my problem has to do with resolution because the image is blurred.
    >
    > One thing I like about online Help books are the ability to go right to the
    > problem without searching under all headings. and being so new to linux,
    > it's all greek, I wouldn't know a correct heading unless it said wallpaper.
    > I've looked under desktop related contents but that's not what I needed.
    >
    > Can anyone show me a website that has this Search feature on Linux
    > information? TIA for any help....katy

    Katy,

    In addition to using Google, you should probably bookmark the site for
    the Linux Documentation Project:

    Here are some other sites that I think you might find helpful:

    These are all oriented toward people new to Linux.

    In addition, there is a new online magazine for new Linux users, called
    "TUX", whose Web site is:

    Electronic subscriptions are free.

    W/R/T your specific question on wallpaper, I can't remember whether
    Mandriva uses KDE or Gnome as its default desktop manager. If it's KDE,
    then you should be able to change it by opening the "Control Center",
    and selecting the "Appearance / Background " items. This will work best
    if you have an image (e.g., a JPEG file) with the same pixel dimensions
    as your screen resolution; otherwise, you can elect to have the image
    "tiled" on the background, or "rescaled" to fit. The success of the
    latter technique depends a lot on the image.

    HTH,
    Rich

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    richg74@gmail.com

  4. Re: Help with Search Feature

    Thank you both for the great help!!! I've saved all your links and
    actually found something I was dreaming to find: a windows users guide to
    linux (a blessing for me). and the great thing about online, espec. with
    linux, there are links to words/phrases that are foreign to a windows user
    (like K button) showed a screenshot to point out where this is (with no "K
    button" on my desktop or taskbar, these links & illustrations are SO
    helpful)!!
    Thanks Ever so much!!! katy

    "Rich Gibbs" wrote in message
    > Katy said the following, on 05/28/05 20:01:
    >> Can anyone help me fine either in the Mandriva Help Center or someplace
    >> on the internet where a Newbie like myself can type in a word or 2 and
    >> find Help relating to that? I only have located Contents and Glossary
    >> in my Mandriva SE 2005, nowhere am I able to just type in a word and get
    >> to the subject.
    >>
    >> All I want is some help putting up a prettier (yes I'm a girl) wallpaper
    >> and I think my problem has to do with resolution because the image is
    >> blurred.
    >>
    >> One thing I like about online Help books are the ability to go right to
    >> the problem without searching under all headings. and being so new to
    >> linux, it's all greek, I wouldn't know a correct heading unless it said
    >> wallpaper. I've looked under desktop related contents but that's not what
    >> I needed.
    >>
    >> Can anyone show me a website that has this Search feature on Linux
    >> information? TIA for any help....katy

    > Katy,
    >
    > In addition to using Google, you should probably bookmark the site for the
    > Linux Documentation Project:
    >

    > Here are some other sites that I think you might find helpful:
    >

    > These are all oriented toward people new to Linux.
    >
    > In addition, there is a new online magazine for new Linux users, called
    > "TUX", whose Web site is:
    >
    > Electronic subscriptions are free.
    >
    > W/R/T your specific question on wallpaper, I can't remember whether
    > Mandriva uses KDE or Gnome as its default desktop manager. If it's KDE,
    > then you should be able to change it by opening the "Control Center", and
    > selecting the "Appearance / Background " items. This will work best if
    > you have an image (e.g., a JPEG file) with the same pixel dimensions as
    > your screen resolution; otherwise, you can elect to have the image "tiled"
    > on the background, or "rescaled" to fit. The success of the latter
    > technique depends a lot on the image.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Rich
    >

    > --
    > Rich Gibbs
    > richg74@gmail.com
    > "You can observe a lot by watching." -- Yogi Berra

+ Reply to Thread