Apple 20" Cinema Display on FC3 w/ Ati X300 - Questions

This is a discussion on Apple 20" Cinema Display on FC3 w/ Ati X300 - Questions ; Hi, Recenty I bought HP dc7100 SFF with Ati radeon X300 and Apple 20" Cinema Display. System cames with Win XP SP2 and everything works great. Complete system wasn't bought to use Win but Linux OS, and this is where ...

  1. Apple 20" Cinema Display on FC3 w/ Ati X300

    Hi,

    Recenty I bought HP dc7100 SFF with Ati radeon X300 and Apple 20" Cinema
    Display. System cames with Win XP SP2 and everything works great.
    Complete system wasn't bought to use Win but Linux OS, and this is where
    my problem starts.

    After installing Fedora Core 3 (full instalation) I can't get Apple LCD
    to work. I spent hours on Google to find solution but without any
    result. There are some solutions with nVidia graphics card that works
    but I don't want to change card (it's low profile PCI express) because I
    can lose warranty with HP. Unfortunately nether HP or Apple give support
    for Linux.

    I know that this is strange configuration but this is what my boss want
    and I can't argue with her, but she demands from me to fix this problem.

    Is there any idea how to solve this, should I try different
    distribution, new ATI drivers, or something else.

    Regards,

    Tomislav Horvatek

  2. Re: Apple 20" Cinema Display on FC3 w/ Ati X300

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 10:47:56 +0200, Tomislav Horvatek wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Recenty I bought HP dc7100 SFF with Ati radeon X300 and Apple 20" Cinema
    > Display. System cames with Win XP SP2 and everything works great.
    > Complete system wasn't bought to use Win but Linux OS, and this is where
    > my problem starts.
    >
    > After installing Fedora Core 3 (full instalation) I can't get Apple LCD
    > to work. I spent hours on Google to find solution but without any
    > result. There are some solutions with nVidia graphics card that works
    > but I don't want to change card (it's low profile PCI express) because I
    > can lose warranty with HP. Unfortunately nether HP or Apple give support
    > for Linux.
    >
    > I know that this is strange configuration but this is what my boss want
    > and I can't argue with her, but she demands from me to fix this problem.
    >
    > Is there any idea how to solve this, should I try different
    > distribution, new ATI drivers, or something else.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tomislav Horvatek

    what happens.... 'can't get to work' isn't real helpful.

    What does your
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    say?

    Does the ATI card work with a different monitor or have you
    tried to use the ATI card with a different monitor.

    jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  3. Re: Apple 20" Cinema Display on FC3 w/ Ati X300

    Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    > what happens.... 'can't get to work' isn't real helpful.
    >
    > What does your
    > /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    > say?

    Dear Jack,

    I'm new to Linux and I don't know best way to describe my problem.
    Recently I bought HP dc7100 with detailed configuration doown below.

    HP dc7100 SFF configuration:
    - Pentium 4 at 3.0 GHz (800Mhz FSB)
    - i915G Express chipset
    - Intel GMA 900 integrated graphics
    - ATI Radeon X300 128MB PCI Express w/ DVI output
    - 40GB SATA HDD
    - 512MB DDR 400 RAM

    Main purpose for that system was to use it as POS based on Linux OS,
    Postgresql database and custom made software. Before deployment we test
    all that on Dell Dimension 4500 (3 years old; with GF3 video card) and
    Suse 9.1. After two weeks of intensive testing we decided to buy that
    software and hardware. After we bought hardware, ISV told us to install
    Fedora C3 or their custom distribution based on FC3. At this point all
    truobles comes to life.

    When I connected Apple Cinema Display 20" (16:10 display ratio) on DVI
    port and run FC3 installation everything was fine during text mode but
    when installation precedure starts X for GUI setup then ACD goes to
    sleep mode. If you connect different monitor at that point you can see
    GUI and all options. I also try to start installation with NOFB option
    but without any success. After that I try to install Ubuntu 5.04 and
    Suse 9.1 but without any luck, because every time installer starts X for
    GUI monitor goes to sleep mode. When you look at log everything is fine
    and X is up and running.

    I decided to go with FC3 and Sony monitor which works fine for now.
    Admin from ISV comes to our office and spend one day trying to install
    ACD on FC3 but without success. What we found was that ACD works with
    nVidia cards but I'm unable to find low-profile nVidia PCI-E card for HP
    desktop. In addition, we were told by ISV that our harware is brand new
    for Linux and that we shoud wait for new distribution that will have new
    drivers, kernel and everything.

    What I didn't try is automatic update (ISV didn't recomend this) from
    Fedora site simply because I'm afraid what will happen and what to do if
    anything goes wrong.

    Because of all that situation, I decided to start learning Linux and buy
    Suse 9.3.

    I hope that this somehow helps you.

    Regards,

    Tomislav Horvatek

  4. Re: Apple 20" Cinema Display on FC3 w/ Ati X300

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:09:04 +0200, Tomislav Horvatek wrote:

    > Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    >> what happens.... 'can't get to work' isn't real helpful.
    >>
    >> What does your
    >> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    >> say?

    > Dear Jack,
    >
    > I'm new to Linux and I don't know best way to describe my problem.
    > Recently I bought HP dc7100 with detailed configuration doown below.
    >
    > HP dc7100 SFF configuration:
    > - Pentium 4 at 3.0 GHz (800Mhz FSB)
    > - i915G Express chipset
    > - Intel GMA 900 integrated graphics
    > - ATI Radeon X300 128MB PCI Express w/ DVI output
    > - 40GB SATA HDD
    > - 512MB DDR 400 RAM
    >
    > Main purpose for that system was to use it as POS based on Linux OS,
    > Postgresql database and custom made software. Before deployment we test
    > all that on Dell Dimension 4500 (3 years old; with GF3 video card) and
    > Suse 9.1. After two weeks of intensive testing we decided to buy that
    > software and hardware. After we bought hardware, ISV told us to install
    > Fedora C3 or their custom distribution based on FC3. At this point all
    > truobles comes to life.
    >
    > When I connected Apple Cinema Display 20" (16:10 display ratio) on DVI
    > port and run FC3 installation everything was fine during text mode but
    > when installation precedure starts X for GUI setup then ACD goes to
    > sleep mode. If you connect different monitor at that point you can see
    > GUI and all options. I also try to start installation with NOFB option
    > but without any success. After that I try to install Ubuntu 5.04 and
    > Suse 9.1 but without any luck, because every time installer starts X for
    > GUI monitor goes to sleep mode. When you look at log everything is fine
    > and X is up and running.
    >
    > I decided to go with FC3 and Sony monitor which works fine for now.
    > Admin from ISV comes to our office and spend one day trying to install
    > ACD on FC3 but without success. What we found was that ACD works with
    > nVidia cards but I'm unable to find low-profile nVidia PCI-E card for HP
    > desktop. In addition, we were told by ISV that our harware is brand new
    > for Linux and that we shoud wait for new distribution that will have new
    > drivers, kernel and everything.
    >
    > What I didn't try is automatic update (ISV didn't recomend this) from
    > Fedora site simply because I'm afraid what will happen and what to do if
    > anything goes wrong.
    >
    > Because of all that situation, I decided to start learning Linux and buy
    > Suse 9.3.
    >
    > I hope that this somehow helps you.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tomislav Horvatek

    If your monitor goes to 'sleep' when it changes graphics mode,
    it generally means that the refresh rate is too low for the
    monitor and the monitor thinks it's supposed to go to sleep.

    I have these options in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for my montitor:
    ( the word "Monitor" may be differnt in your config file... adjust
    as needed )

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "SyncMaster 213T"
    VendorName "SyncMaster"
    ModelName "LCD Panel 1600x1200"
    HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
    VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

    This refresh rate will probably be good enough for your
    display.

    jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia