how do i set up dsl in linux? i'm a total newbie, thanks - Questions

This is a discussion on how do i set up dsl in linux? i'm a total newbie, thanks - Questions ; ...

  1. how do i set up dsl in linux? i'm a total newbie, thanks

  2. Re: how do i set up dsl in linux? i'm a total newbie, thanks

    John Gilbert wrote:

    > how do i set up dsl in linux?

    Well, you need to know/learn some stuff. Like,
    how is the connetion to the modem being established?

    Network Card/ethernet=good USB=not so good/maybe bad
    (Good cards come cheap $15/$20)

    What program does your linux distribution have to
    setup the connection? Most likely RoaringPenguin-PPPoE

    So, if your working with a eth0/ethernet and rp-pppoe
    if I remember right, it goes something like this:

    $ su to root

    # adsl-setup (now answer all the question and finish)
    At this point your all set to start the connection with:

    # adsl-start

    # exit (to get out of root)

    $

    If all went well you are now connected to the internet.
    Open up a browser and have a spin. And then again a lot
    of Linux Distributions like Mandrake and SuSE will have
    some kind of gui control center to help you set this up
    so you don't have to do it by hand as above.

    But really, before you connect your box online, you want to
    know/learn some more stuff. These HOWTOs will most likely
    be on your installation of linux. And if not, you just go
    over to The Linux Documentation Project web site.
    http://www.tldp.org/

    Security Quick-Start HOWTO AND DSL HOWTO

  3. Re: how do i set up dsl in linux? i'm a total newbie, thanks

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:10:35 -0400, John Gilbert wrote:

    Depends, there are 190+ linuxes out there.

    Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Always provide distribution, release when posting questions.
    It could help you get better answers.

    Add a disk to your system, or create an empty/unformated/unknown ~6 gig
    partition on your current drive. With Mandriva you can pick custom
    during partition phase, click unknown partition, create swap as 512
    bytes max, click unknonw again and set it as /, click done and
    continue with install.

    http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandrak.../Starter.html/

  4. Re: how do i set up dsl in linux? i'm a total newbie, thanks

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:10:35 -0400, John Gilbert wrote:

    You might want to try one of the LiveCDs (SLAX, Damn Small Linux,
    Knoppix). If you have everything plugged into your network card, it should
    be able to autodetect...

    It is certainly worth a try!

    Dan

  5. Re: how do i set up dsl in linux? i'm a total newbie, thanks

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:10:35 +0000, John Gilbert wrote:

    Check these links out.
    http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/dslandlinux.shtml
    http://www.chinalinuxpub.com/doc/www...cie.com/#Linux
    http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7909082870.html
    This link is to the linux documenation project. Its excellent for
    learning
    http://www.tldp.org

    Just do a quick google search and it should help. I realize its
    not a step by step but it all really depends on your setup. For
    instance I'm using my ipchains and iptables and doing ipforwarding
    so I can have multiple machines behind my dsl modem. At that
    point my "gateway" uses pppoe vs eth0 to talk to the modem. It
    all gets crazy but its worth learning.

+ Reply to Thread