Printing to HPIB port via network - Questions

This is a discussion on Printing to HPIB port via network - Questions ; G'day All, I have acquired an old HP 7585B pen plotter. This unit has a stuffed serial unterface, but the GPIB is working fine. I am looking into the fesability of building a Linux box to enable me to make ...

  1. Printing to HPIB port via network

    G'day All,
    I have acquired an old HP 7585B pen plotter. This unit has a stuffed
    serial unterface, but the GPIB is working fine. I am looking into the
    fesability of building a Linux box to enable me to make the plotter
    available over a LAN.

    I have an old pentium 100 box to drive the show, and can use either a Plug
    and Play or a jumpered National Instruments ISA GPIB card.

    My general train of thought goes something like this :
    Use a curent distro for security / compatibility as I can choose to run
    in a shell without running up X windows.
    Run Samba to enable sharing to the windows boxes, though I am not sure
    if I need to do this at all.
    Cups to handle the printing.

    I have been unable to find any sort of driver file to suit the plotter, but
    I do have the GPIB programming manual for it so I guess it is feasable to
    write my own, given sufficent patience.

    I have found nothing so far to indicate if / how Cups will use the GPIB card
    in place of the Lpt / Comm port.

    Or am I simply reading too much into this, and I should be able to write
    directally to the GPIB sort of like a line device ?

    Any help appreciated,

    Pete

  2. Re: Printing to HPIB port via network

    Pete wrote:

    > G'day All,
    > I have acquired an old HP 7585B pen plotter. This unit has a stuffed
    > serial unterface, but the GPIB is working fine. I am looking into the
    > fesability of building a Linux box to enable me to make the plotter
    > available over a LAN.
    >
    > I have an old pentium 100 box to drive the show, and can use either a Plug
    > and Play or a jumpered National Instruments ISA GPIB card.
    >
    > My general train of thought goes something like this :
    > Use a curent distro for security / compatibility as I can choose to
    > run
    > in a shell without running up X windows.
    > Run Samba to enable sharing to the windows boxes, though I am not sure
    > if I need to do this at all.
    > Cups to handle the printing.
    >
    > I have been unable to find any sort of driver file to suit the plotter,
    > but I do have the GPIB programming manual for it so I guess it is feasable
    > to write my own, given sufficent patience.
    >
    > I have found nothing so far to indicate if / how Cups will use the GPIB
    > card in place of the Lpt / Comm port.
    >
    > Or am I simply reading too much into this, and I should be able to write
    > directally to the GPIB sort of like a line device ?
    >
    > Any help appreciated,
    >

    > Pete

    If you have the Windows print drivers (assuming you will be printing from
    windows based machines) there doesn't need to be print drivers on the Linux
    side, all you need is lpd or CUPS to print to some kind of text device. The
    Windows machines then print to a lpr style queue on the Linux box. Though
    using samba makes printing from the windows side a bit easier.
    Now this usually requires some kind of text device under \dev.
    Have you managed to get basic driver support for the GPIB card? If so have
    you been able to start communicating with any of the GPIB devices using
    Linux?

    (comp.os.linux.hardware added is this may add extra answers to your initial
    questions)

    Bruce S.
    --
    Replace by by blueyonder